it's my turn to share!

hjb
on 3/1/12 2:59 am
just thought i would tell everyone that i got my surgery date today: MARCH 22ND! i start my optifast on Tuesday :D :D :D

i have been on this journey to WLS for a year now, and i know that my REAL journey is just beginning. i am 23 years old and can't wait to live the life ahead of me, as a healthier and happier person :)

does anyone have any tips on what i should be doing to prepare for surgery? i am heading out soon to pick up the vitamin k doses i will need.

i was going to start picking up my protein supplements, but i am attending a mandatory nutrition class next week and thought i would see what info i am offered there first before i buy. but any advice or words or wisdom would be appreciated !

thanks for reading :)
EthelMae
on 3/1/12 3:08 am - MD
Vitamin K?  Is this a requirement from your surgeon?

Protein - do yourself a favor and purchase samples.  What you may love today, you may not tolerate after surgery.

Buy some sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, green tea (check to make sure you can have this), etc.  If you are like the majority, you will be on liquids for a week or two after surgery.

If you are on any type of continuing medication that you will remain on after surgery, see if it's available in liquid form.  Crushing pills and trying to disguise the taste is sometimes a tough thing to do.

For the hospital, get some lip balm.  Don't worry about night clothes.  Just use the hospital gowns.

March 22nd will be here before you know it.

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

hjb
on 3/1/12 3:12 am
wow, thank you for all of that great information!! i appreciate it :)

yes, my surgeon wants me to take a dose of vitamin k 2 weeks prior to surgery and a week prior.
oxfordcat
on 3/1/12 3:23 am - NJ
First off, congratulations.  Your date will be here quickly.
I just got lots of broths, sf jello and popsicles.  I didn't do protein until week 2 so i didn't stock up.  My tastes changes a lot , so check out local places and get samples.  I still don't buy large containers (though cheaper) of protein.  I like variety so i stick with the Celebrate variety pack.  GNC has 1lb bags to start with.  I didn't buy toddler plates or utensils, but some have said they help.  If you don't have a small scale (kitchen) I would get one.  Need to measure.

Get a list of all your meds you need post op.  Get prescriptions refilled if needed so you don't run out and are too tired to do the running after.  

For the hospital, lip balm.  I didn't bother with pjs.  Brought them and a robe, never wore it.  Books or Nook to read when you have some alone time.  Music. 

thats my two cents. 

Good Luck
Catherine
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
hjb
on 3/1/12 3:32 am
broths, sf jello and popsicles....okay! i will definitely do some shopping for those. variety packs of protein supplements sound like the way to go...don't want to get stuck with something unedible...that would be a waste.

a kitchen scale is something i still need to pick up too. thanks for the reminder! and for all of your advice :)
oxfordcat
on 3/1/12 5:21 am - NJ
Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Or email.
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Heidi T.
on 3/1/12 7:59 am
RNY on 01/31/12
 I have read other responses and agree with them, however, I also think that a pillow is essential. It will help if you have to cough in the hospital (happens) also will be essential for the ride home (bumps hurt, I buckelted the pillow in the seatbelt with me, kept it from rubbing).  Depending on your surgeon and his/her restrictions pepermint tea may be helpful, as it helps to rid you of that dreadful gas.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
chatterpam
on 3/1/12 1:44 pm - PA
Pillow = win... I agree with the above about taste changes too.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 378 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 197 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 221 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 124 views
Recent Topics