Horrible protein drink

safetymedic
on 3/1/12 11:24 pm - Diamondhead, MS
RNY on 03/08/12
I am 6 days away from surgery and I am sitting at my desk in my office. I notice a huge container of something called Zero Carb SRO graham cracker flavor, and thought to myself, I like graham crackers. I mixed it just like the label said and OMG that is the nastiest thing I have ever tasted. Is this what all protien drinks taste like. I have not been extremely nervous up until now, will I have to live off this stuff for the next month. Please tell me there are alternatives out there.

Zeigled
on 3/1/12 11:32 pm - Parkton, MD
There are TONS of alternatives.  You may want to get a variety pack.  I personnaly, hate all of them and am grateful to be past the liquid stage.  The only one I tolerate is isopure grape flavor - it is premade and I get it from the vitamen shop.  All the 'milky' ones to me are gross.  Many other folks out on this forum have favorites that they do very well with - so you will probably find one you like.  Keep trying.
HW 357 SW 341   

Jameen G.
on 3/2/12 12:10 am - NC
I agree with Zeigled ... for me the only one I could ever get down is Isopure blue raspberry flavor ... premade and I also get it from Vitamin Shoppe ... all others make me want to throw up!

jameen (take a minute to smile ...)

glzgowlass
on 3/1/12 11:37 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
 there's loads of different options.  Whey protein isolate is the best for you.  I use JayRobb strawberry or chocolate flavor and when I get fed up with those, I switch to unjury chicken broth flavor.  Twin lab chocoate surge isn't bad either but I have to be in the mood for it.

I mix the Jay Robb with unsweetened almond milk because I prefer creamier shakes but other's prefer more watery based drinks and nectar is one of those or Isopure RTD, but I'm not a big fan of those. You may be different.

Everyone is different and you should pick up some sample packets to try out.  People say your taste buds change after surgery so not to buy too much prior but this didn't happen to me.  Just buy one or two sample packets from say the vitamine shoppe or vitalady and experiment a bit.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

ddelaney
on 3/1/12 11:54 pm

Experiment with the shake a little. There are all kinds of things you can add to it to help the flavor.
Sugar Free jello (about one tablespoon)
Crystal Light or Sugar Free Kool Aid Mix (about a teaspoon)
Cool whip (1-2 tablespoons)
Coco powder
Coffee: instant or brewed
Peanut Butter (one tablespoon)

Extracts:
Vanilla
Butter-nut
Peppermint
Coconut
Pineapple
Almond
Chocolate
Cinnamon

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

newSaga
on 3/2/12 2:22 am - GA
RNY on 02/23/12
Great tip - thanks!

RnY completed 2/23/2012

HW: 325, LW: 215, CW: 254, GW: 170
starting anew

ddelaney
on 3/2/12 12:00 am
badkitten
on 3/2/12 12:09 am
I still drink protein drinks sometimes twice a day - there are ways to make them FANTASTIC!!!
take a look at Nik's blog: bariatric foodie
she will walk you through making AWESOME drinks - she saved me!!! I was not able to get in my protein because I hated the protein drinks!!!
NIK IS THE BOMB!!!!!!!!! (I'm a huge fan can you tell?!?!)

jennalynngay
on 3/2/12 1:14 am - Cedar City, UT
RNY on 02/15/12
 Thanks for telling about this blog!! I need more protein too.. so this will be a life saver. :)
Life is a canvas.. and I am trying to make a masterpiece.

Weight loss since I moved to Utah.   

poet_kelly
on 3/2/12 1:16 am - OH
There are TONS of alternatives out there and some taste like monkey butt and some are absolutely delicious.

Go to vitalady.com and order a zillion samples.  Sometimes even the same brand will have one flavor that's delicious and another that's gross.  Also, how you mix it matters, a lot.  It will taste very different if you mix it with milk rather than water.  It may taste very different if you mix it in the blender instead of shaking it in a cup.  It may taste very different in a hot protein drink than in a cold shake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.