uncomfortable at work-wght loss woes?

lizzyspru
on 3/5/12 6:17 am
So, i work in a plus size clothing store and used to be the biggest person there. I am down now about 75 pounds. Everyday i get comments all day some are nice, but its starting to make me uncomfortable . Some of the relationships are borderline strained. To sum it up, i love the job and(thought) i loved the people, i thought they would be supportive! Ugh! What to do, i dont want to have to find a new job...
fatfreemama
on 3/5/12 6:29 am - San Jose, CA
For now, take the high road, smile and don't respond and always be professional. I'd like to say it will get better, but it might not until you finish losing and they get use to the new you. Just remember, it's their problem, not yours and do the best job you can. And concentrate on your friends outside of work for support.

Good luck.
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Judy M.
on 3/5/12 7:24 am

SCHADENFREUDE.  The term means the pleasure others derive from your misfortune.  Just think how they must feel no longer having the enjoyment of having you the most obese person there.  Now they wont be able to think 'well I am not as bad as her'........Your weight loss will trigger all their own misgivings about themselves and that will make their wrath direct to you probably.

When alcoholics who enter recovery who may have worked as ****tail waitresses, bartenders, bouncers etc. sometimes leave those jobs as they become entrenched in their recoveries.  As you slim up, change your eating habits for the rest of your lifetime to insure continued success as a thin person you may one day find yourself unable to accommodate the habits, ways of thinking or physicalities of those still entrenched in their obesity and the accompanying behaviors.  Meanwhile just imagine how awful they must be feeling watching you gain mobility, health and happiness while they remain their same selves.  If they are thin co workers well then if they arent thrilled for you that is just mean.  You may have to finesse them getting in your corner in a different dynamic then the one you had as the biggest girl in the room.

poet_kelly
on 3/5/12 7:48 am - OH
I think it's mean whether the coworkers in question are thin or fat.  Why would certain before be mean coming from a thin person but acceptable coming from a fat person?  And none of the coworkers are stuck saying their same selves if they don't want to stay the same.  We are all free to make changes to ourselves if we want to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Judy M.
on 3/5/12 7:56 am
oh you are right I didnt mean to say that disparaging comments from thin people are ok, but their motive for doing it may not be schadenfreude.. I am typing on a tablet so my syntax may be not good nor my sentence structure but I agree with you.  If it were me I would ring my new body out of the plus size store and into Nordstrom or Saks fight avenue. lol

dori M.
on 3/5/12 8:23 am - MD
 One the ladies who works at the plus size store I shop at had RNY about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I actually watched her transformation and cheered her on. While I was going thru my 6mth process I would stop in the store just to pluck her brain about the surgery. I remember one day when we were in the store discussing the surgery and other women entered the store and joined the conversation. We had a full blow discussion (the other ladies included) about the process, the different surgeries and the local surgical programs. I guess that's why its hard to believe that your customers (if I'm reading your comment right) are not supportive. Whatever the issue is, its theirs and not yours. Don't let them make you leave a job you love.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 341 views