HAIR LOSS

Hattie T.
on 3/16/12 4:14 pm - Denver, CO

I found this white paper to be interesting (author unknown)
:

15 Best Hair Loss Treatments for Men and Women 2012

Poor nutrition can be the reason of hair loss. Most individuals fail to recognize that simple diet alterations can have a substantial influence not only on their health, but also in their general appearance.

A well balanced diet (and sufficien****er intake) is the secret behind healthy hair. When a person is aware of what to eat and what not to eat, he can pretty much dictate the state of his hair. Do you know that too much Vitamin A can result to hair loss? Conversely, a diet entirely devoid of Vitamin A causes hair loss as well.

IRON & HAIR LOSS

Diseases can also lead to hair loss, particularly anemia. If you are diagnosed as anemic, you should try to incorporate leafy greens like spinach and chard in your daily meals. And if you toss in cuts of protein rich red meat (liver, kidneys, lamb, kangaroo) the better. Why? Because the amino acid present in the meat aids the body to maximize its capacity to absorb the nutrients swirling in the blood streams - iron included of course.

Field experts are still debating if iron is indeed the key to hair growth - whether the patient is anemic or not, that is not a factor. A study released in 2006 showed that the treatment for iron deficient patients, with or without the existence of anemia, could boost the patients’ capability to regrow hair.

PROTEIN & HAIR LOSS

Next in line is protein. It is a fact that human hair is composed mainly of protein (keratin). So it is proper that the said nutrient be part of your diet. Protein contains amino acids, which is vital for developing new cells.  

There are five amino acids working together for hair growth; one of which is worth mentioning - the cystine. This is the most important amino acid in relation to building lustrous hair fibers. And as mentioned in the preceding paragraph, red meats are rich in protein. So are fish, soy, and dairy products. Sprouts are also a good source of protein and supply the necessary enzymes for healthful hair growth.

VITAMINS & HAIR LOSS

All vitamins are not only important but necessary to avert hair loss. Vitamins A, D and E are fat-soluble vitamins that render the hair a tad bit oily. These substances prevent the hair strands from becoming brittle and dry. In addition, split ends are also avoided thanks to A-D-E. Though a word of caution: the consequence of having excess Vitamin A is also hair loss.

So be careful with your vitamin dosages. Moving on, it is advised that the food rations contain orange (or yellow) fruit and vegetables, whole grains, and fortified cereals, all of which contains A, D, or E or a combination of the two.

On the other hand, Vitamins B and C, both of which are water-soluble is also needed. The former stimulates hair growth while the latter is responsible for improving iron absorption. Vitamin B rich food includes the beans, peas, leafy veggies, and whole grains as well. Citrus fruits like oranges and lemons are full of Vitamin C. Read The 8 Vitamins for Hair Loss

MINERALS & HAIR LOSS

Various minerals such as zinc, sulfur, iron, and calcium also play a part in hair growth. Zinc is ample in foods like meat, poultry, and legumes. And as with Vitamin A, intense zinc presence (or lack of it) may lead to shedding due to excessively oily or brittle hair.

As for the sulfur, this can be found in cloves of garlic, grains, meats, beans, lentils, and peanuts. Lastly, calcium, much concentration of this mineral is in dairy products. Again, it shares the ‘too much would result to hair loss’ club joining both Vitamin A and zinc.

Remember, proteins, vitamins, and minerals are all needed to aid hair growth and prevent hair loss. Just do not go overboard with your quantity intake. You might be doing more damage than good.

Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
MONICASNEWLIFE
on 3/16/12 4:42 pm
VERY INTERESTING HATTIE,

i just finish buying the biotin shampoo and conditioner also the biotin H 24... im also considereing buying the nioxin shampoo system...

the hair is coming off like crazy....the good thing is that i have lots of hair..and im up on my protein to 100g a day!!

hope your doing well....
monica
"Caterpillar in my cocoon, I'm gonna be a butterfly soon.
  I'm a little butterfly, I can soar through the sky. So glad I ended up like this, Thanks to metamorphosis".

hw 286 pre op 276 sw 263 cw 214  13lbs lost pre-op slowly but surely!!    
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/16/12 5:01 pm - OH
It is important to keep in mind, though, that the hair loss we experience after RNY is a very specific type of hair loss called telogen effluvium, not just general hair loss.  Avoiding or correcting nutritional deficiencies will promote healthy REGROWTH but will not alter the course of the hairloss.  

The emedicine.medscape.com website has some really good information on it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Hattie T.
on 3/16/12 5:15 pm - Denver, CO
Thanks, Lora. I'll read it so that next time you mention telogen effluvium it won't sound like Greek to me! LOL. No, all jokes aside, I will read it so that IF I start losing my hair, I will understand why.

Monica, so far I haven't lost any hair. I am just recovering from two months of welts on my face and upper back. I am having vision issues. But so far, everything else is good. I hope that all is well with you and that your hair loss won't be too bad.

Lora, did you get the new job? If you posted an update I must have missed it.

Good night Ladies,

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/16/12 5:28 pm - OH
 Yes, I did.  It will only be very part-time, but it gets my foot in the door and it is someting I am very excited to have the chance to do!  I sat in on two psych evals with the primary psychologist this week (one for a RNY patient and one for a sleeve patient), and he will sit in on one that I do next week to evaluate my performance.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics