Starting Over ... Need help/advice

GinaG816
on 3/21/12 2:57 am - Holyoke, MA

I had my RNY gastric bypass surgery in Sept. 2010.  By approx. Feb 2011 I had lost 100lbs which is a huge accomplishment.  Since then, however, I have no lost much more weight at all and I have been eating basically what I want.  I do eat a lot smaller quantities, but I occasionally overeat, often get dumping syndrome and I am just at a loss.  I feel terrible mentally about not surpassing the 100lbs - I was hoping to lose 150-200.  I also must admit that I had not been exercising either.  I did VERY well initially post-op going to the gym and watching what I was eating, etc... I just don't know how I let myself get to this point and how to start over again and do better.  I moved in March 2011 from NJ to MA, so I lost a lot of my support system and I am obviously not having any follow ups with my surgeon.  I am going to be joining a gym this week and also starting therapy for my "mental" issues surrounding my weight issues.

If there is anyone who has been in a similar situation and can offer any advice/guidance I would really appreciate it.

birthdaygirl
on 3/21/12 3:25 am - Lithonia, GA
Your journey was similiar to mine.....I had RNY 10-15-08...I never exercised formally at all but I am active because I have a large family.....A DH and 10 kids, I did protein drinks until on regular food and 2 weeks post-op I lost 22 pounds and I thought, "wow" this will be great then the next couple of weigh-ins 1 pound each...

my weight lost came off slow and steady but by 2011 I was done 100 pounds...my inital weight day of surgery was 276....I stayed in the 180's and 170's forever. then in March 2011 I had a abdomnioplasty and I was then in the 160's and 150's and stayed at goal for a wink of an eye......I lost all of my breast volume and developed tears in my shoulders, i was put on narcotics, anti-depressants, and anxiety meds and then I started on a carb cycle and gained 40 pounds.

I had to sit down and realize, okay I only stayed at goal for a minute, and now for the first time in my life i have severe insomnia, more stress, and depresion and I am away from my home state too....I was born and raised in illinois and I now live in Atlanta with only my immediate family.   Truly Iam not motivated to exercise.....I like to walk and clean house and such and work up a sweat but with my family I don't have time to do a gym.....i do love Leslie Sansone walk at home dvd's....However I take my supplements, labs faithfully, and I was referred to a psychiatrist for the first time.

I am on a new anti-depressant to deal with the stress and the weight has started to peel off again, no more carb cravings and a desire to drink my protein drink and smoothies....I ama unjury protein lover, unflavored and chicken soup flavored and for snacks instead of sugary desserts becuse I have a high tolerance to dump so now my fave snack is Chobani plain Greek yogurt mixed with a little truvia sugar sub, a lil vanilla extract, and a few teaspoons of SF jello cheesecake mix.  i then eat that with apples and I am full.

I am back on lean meats like ground turkey and i try to keep my nerves calm.....You can start over...your tool is for life....It still works...but next month at my 4 year mark I am going to ask my bariatric surgeon to scope me and make sure medically that my stoma and pouch are within original surgical calculaions....good luck, sweetie....here for support

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
poet_kelly
on 3/21/12 3:53 am - OH
How about finding a WLS support group where you live now?  Many surgeons have groups and will allow people to join even if they had surgery somewhere else.

If you haven't been following up with your surgeon, have you had your labs done lately?  If not, how about finding a new surgeon or just seeing your PCP and having those ordered?

How about making an appointment with a registered dietician (one with experience with RNY) to get some help with a meal plan?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Martha P.
on 3/21/12 5:32 am - Timberlake, NC
First of all, congratulations on all the hard work you did to lose 100 lbs!  You are taking steps to correct the problem.  Give yourself a break.  You cannot fix this in a hour or week.  I would follow the suggestion of getting a doctor.  Then you will have taken the steps needed to correct the problem. 

Martha P.

Laura in Texas
on 3/21/12 7:37 am
Track every bite you put into your mouth (I love myfitnesspa)l. Start exercising. Do not drink for an hour after meals. It's not "magic". You know what to do, you just need to do it. Stop making excuses You can do this!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 260 views