Sharp pain 11 days post op

invisible2
on 3/24/12 3:09 am

Yesterday, I developed a sharp pain between my "big" incision on my left side and my belly button.  It will completely subside when I lay down but it's comes back when I stand up.  When I first stand up the pain is very sharp and intense  but it gets a little better after I've been up for a while but it never goes away (sitting here, I'm in considerable pain even after my narcotic pain reliever).  I do feel some gas bubbles but it doesn't really feel like gas.  I'm really frustrated.  I had my surgery in Seattle - over two hours from where I live.  And, of course, today is Saturday.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

dragonlady004
on 3/24/12 3:28 am - MS
RNY on 02/23/12
I am 1 month post op and have had the same thing for the whole time.. I went to my docotor Thrusday and he found that my vagus nerve that runs right  there was inflamed.. he gave me a combo shot of fast acting pain relief, long term nerve block, and a steroid shot around the large incision on my left. at first i did not think it worked but now I just got finished cleaning my house.  still have a little soreness but the burning and sharp pains are gone!! it took about 24 hours for the shot to kick in but it was worth it!
I also had surgery over 2 hours away but it was worth the drive to have the pain stop!!!

Hope it works out I was really getting scared that something was major wrong until he did this now I feel like a human again... hope you get to feeling better
HW: 465.5 SW: 290 CW: 270         
kellyp3039
on 3/24/12 4:11 am
RNY on 03/05/12
 It is normal.  I am experiencing the same thing.  I will be 3 week post op Monday.  I have more pain to the right side to my belly button.  A lot of pulling, plus my back hurts.  I went for my post op visit last Tuesday and was told it's normal.  Hang in there.  It's getting better each day for me.

lotsofhope80
on 3/24/12 4:33 am - OH
RNY on 04/02/12
 I have to first start by saying the normal, if your concerned check with your doctor, and I am not a Dr. or any sort of medical professional.
Now with that said, at my pre op appt this past Thurs. as I understood it, they explained  that there is a large disolveable stitch (or stitches ) that is put into our stomach muscles, they explained that as those stitches disolve (around 10 to 14 days) they frequently cause sharp pains in the left side. They explained these as normal pains that most of  us could experience for even up to a couple weeks. Not sure if this helps but reading your post I couldnt help but think of that conversation between us pre op folks and my team's nurse practicioner while she went over some FAQs

carvsh
on 3/24/12 5:00 am - Virginia Beach , VA
I had the same..on my right side kind of between the drain site and stapler site.. but deeper.
my surgeon said it was because of the suture in the muscle on that particular incision. I had my surgery 2/27 and I just now have had that pain subside enough to do a lil walking and laying flat on my back. I was in a lot of pain up until now.. a lot.
He said it's the "trocar" incision.

invisible2
on 3/24/12 6:32 am
Thank you, all.  You've collectively brought my panic level down considerably. 
Most Active
Recent Topics