Phentermine after Gastric Bypass

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/13 10:34 am - OH

I know this is going to sound harsh, but why are you GIVING your pouch the carbs that it "tolerates" so well?!?   The problem is in your brain... What you are choosing to put into your mouth, and the only permanent solution is to permanently change your eating habits.  Taking drugs is a temporary band-aid, if even that.  I have not heard of Phentermine having any effect on specific carb cravings, just overall appetite.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Liz S.
on 7/27/13 11:13 am
I have now been taking Phen 7 weeks - I have lost 13 lbs of the 20 I had regained. It does take away the carb cravings... I am a carb addict for sure ... with Phen I am craving my proteins before anything else therefore I am full! My carbs are below 80 gr per day!
~ Liz ~    
weezieweeks
on 7/27/13 11:23 am - North Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for posting your progress!

High/Low/Regain/Today/Goal
      330/199/221/207/175

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/14 12:05 pm

Hi

I'm in the same bind lost 130lbs but need 110lb to reach my goal. And after 3 years just been the same etc. My dr advised me to try phentermine too. Just curious after rny surgery how many mg and how did you do. Anyone else out there too. I really dont eat much and sugar makes me sick can't drink any alcohol either. Have alot of saggy skin too. Thanks

dreamer56
on 6/1/14 6:37 am - Vienna, Australia

Well, I used to take Phentermine after RNY. But I am from Australia and here Phen is called Duromine. Anyway I don’t think there is much difference except the name, of course. I wanted to lose about 50 lbs and so I did.
ncmdgirl, I think you can lose 10 pounds without these pills. 10 pounds is not a big deal of weight. You do everything to lose weight. You train hard, eat healthy, so weight loss is just a matter of time. Be patient. BTW, how much do you weigh and how old are you?
You complain that you are tired of hunger cravings and headaches. Well, Phentermine can help you to get rid of hunger, but only in the beginning. Also, if you take Phentermine be prepared that your headaches will be even more often and painful. Headache is one of the side effects of these pills. I suffered from them so much!
That’s why I say that you are strong enough to lose weight without pills. Just do not give up. It is better to lose weight slower, than to lose weight and health fast.

Chaychee
on 9/14/14 10:29 pm
RNY on 10/14/13

I am 11 months out and have lost 98 lbs.  My losses are slow now though (about 4-5 lbs/month).  I started taking Phentermine today (30mg) to try to speed up the losses a little since I still have 30 lbs to go until goal.  WLS is just one tool we can use to lose weight.  I don't see the big deal using other tools (i.e. low carb, gluten free eating, exercise, and even rx medication from a doctor, etc.) to help you get to you and your Dr's goal.  Nobody on here is in the same situation as yourself and as long as you and working with your doctor to reach your goal I say go for it! I have a 30 day supply and am going to check back in with my doctor after the 30 days to re-evaluate whether or not another 30 days is appropriate for me.  My doctor told me that it works well for about 3 months but then your body gets 'used to it' and so then you should stop taking it for a while (6-12 months) before starting again.  It is best used in 'bursts' to get things moving again.  Good luck to those willing to try it :)

Jessicar4bbit
on 2/21/17 5:20 am
RNY on 09/07/16

I am about 5 months post op and have lost 91 lbs ****ep hitting stalls though and it's super frustrating). I used to take phentermine about two years prior to having WLS though and I lost a significant amount of weight.

Phentermine seems like a dream pill at first because you lose like 4-7 lbs a week and always have SO MUCH energy. I was a powerhouse at work-- my coworkers hated me because I made them look bad and my boss loved me because I was crazy productive. I got two promotions (thanks phentermine!) and would still go home, cook dinner for my husband, clean the house from top to bottom, play with my son and get all my homework done.

I would never get cravings because I would literally forget to eat. Forgetting to eat is common because phentermine works by cutting off your brains connection to your stomach. Your brain is responsible for telling your stomach it is hungry and your stomach starts sending you signals to eat (growling, etc.) and your brain starts to signal you as well (cravings, etc.) Without that connection, you would never feel hungry and phentermine interferes with that connection.

The only time you will realize you may need food is when the insane headache or confusion comes on because your brain needs glucose to function but if you have gone two days only drinking water (which happened to me quite frequently with phentermine), your blood sugar will drop causing a headache and confusion. Let's not forget-- phentermine is an amphetamine, hence its name (just like meth-- which is also prescribed in pill form by doctors to aide in weight loss in case you did not know) it's just legal.

Now although phentermine worked wonders for me phentermine also gave me hypertension, tachycardia and an elevated t-wave. I was hospitalized twice for crazy blood pressures (I'm talking like 210/100) Also, about three months after stopping phentermine, I regained all of the weight I lost +11lbs That's just the way phentermine worked in my body, though.

Even though I'm experiencing stalls-- I wouldn't take phentermine again because it used to make me feel like my heart was going into overdrive and I run the risk of regaining even more weight than I would initially lose. Again, that's just me-- you're more than welcome to try phentermine for yourself maybe you wouldn't experience the side effects I did. Good luck! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views