Question about iron, was low on my labs.

wvugal89
on 3/29/12 4:48 am - MD
My iron was low for my 3 month labs so now I have added iron and vitamin c as supplements. I take it before I go to bed. When will I notice a difference within me? Will I get more energy, lose more weight, anything?

Thanks so much everyone!

Teri-Lynn
POI

aaaaaaa
on 3/29/12 5:08 am
 Well, last year I began to notice that I was so tired I wanted to sleep all the time (hard to do while working :D   

I had my 6 month blood work done, and found that my iron levels were super, super low, so I began taking one BiFera a day as well as one of VitaLady's iron tender,  60 mg iron w/400mg vit. C.

My energy was dramatically different within the month, and my levels in the next 3 months went up. It was slow, but continued to improve. I now take 2 VitaLady Tender iron capsules a day, and I feel sooo much better!  Did it make weight loss happen?  I was already stabilized at a weight my body seemed to like, so I didn't lose more, but I was able to exercise again without being so tired, so my body did tone up more! :D    Good luck!

poet_kelly
on 3/29/12 5:15 am - OH
If your iron level was causing you to lack energy, then as your level goes up, you should notice more energy.  Now, lots of things can cause a lack of energy, so if you were feeling tired for other reasons, the iron might not make much difference.  As far as I know, low iron does not slow weight loss so I doubt taking iron will make you lose more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 3/29/12 7:19 pm - Suffern, NY
what type of iron did you add and how much vitamin C?  you need to be taking either carbonyl iron with C or heme iron..  Carbonyl iron from vitalady.com called tender irons are the best first line choice they are easy on your stomach, non--constipating, and highly absorbable.  Plus they are pretty cheap and have the vitamin C already in them.  They are 60mg capsules, so depending on how low your levels are will depend on how many you wou ld need.  I just ordered another bottle yestarday  I think they are like $30.00 for a bottle of 400 capsules, so they last a really long time.  I take 3 or 4 at bedtime and my ferritin is really good.

They work pretty quickly.  I was in the hospital this past fall and had lost a ton of blood needing a blood transfusion.  Before they were deciding if I would need the tranfusion, my hematologist had me bring my iron from home and the pharmacy identified them -that was a pretty funny - they didnt' know what they were, so I had to give them the website so they could see exactly what they were so they could identify them and accept them as acceptable.  Hospitals are crazy - my hematologist has okayed them 3 days before.

Anyway - I started taking the iron and my iron (not ferritin - not sure what that was) but my iron had dropped to about 20 and then after 5 days of taking the iron, it was up to 100 -it worked that fast.  Then I got the transfusion, a procrit shot and all my levels went got much better.   I was still anemic but it took some time for it all to level out.  I have a condition where my white count, platelets are always low and my hemoglobin is borderline.

Let me know what your iron and ferritin are and I can give you an idea of how many tenders you would need if that is the type of iron you would like to take or let me know what you have  and I can go from there.  Just make sure it isnt a ferrous iron, because we cant' absorb any ferrous irons