Question about Labs

JenK130
on 3/30/12 6:12 am
RNY on 01/30/12
I got my first labs back.  They were taken 7 weeks post op.  Everything looks ok.  Iron and D are on the low side of normal.  Would labs (especially iron) be effected if I had my period when the labs were drawn?

Thanks
Happy Friday!!
poet_kelly
on 3/30/12 6:18 am - OH
Your iron might be affected, I guess, if you were bleeding very, very heavily at the time.  Vitamin D should not be affected by that.

When you say your D was on the low side of normal, what does that mean?  The low end of the reference range on the lab report?  Because if so, that means your D is very, very low.  Most labs use a reference range of something like 30-100, but that is just an average of the level of a bunch of people they tested, it's not the range you should be in for good health.  Below 80, you're at increased risk for osteoporosis and other stuff you don't want.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JenK130
on 3/30/12 6:24 am
RNY on 01/30/12
Thanks.  I was bleeding heavy.  My iron was 53 and D was 43 (so yes that is pretty low)  I think I have to find a new vitamin D to take.  I was taking the vitafusion gummy.  They didn't run a protein level just albumin unless the protein?  I meet with my surgeon in a few weeks to go over the results.
Lisa R.
on 3/30/12 6:36 am - CA
 Iron 53?  I thought iron was checked with your HGB which is measured in lower numbers, like normal is 12-15.  If you are below 12 you are low.

Chew your iron and ask you doctor what dose you should take.  You now have a lower chance of absorption because we usually take iron up in our stomach acid which you no longer use.  If your iron gets too low you will have to get infusions that take FOREVER and cost money, so don't over look that.  Take it serious now. 

Just speaking from experience.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
poet_kelly
on 3/30/12 6:48 am - OH
I think the OP is giving her total iron number, not her hemoglobin.  There are a number of labs that tell us about our iron, including total iron, ferritin, hemoglobin and  hematocrit.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JenK130
on 3/30/12 6:52 am
RNY on 01/30/12
Yes it is the total Iron.  I remember my PCP told me she just looks at the % Iron Saturation.  I am not sure the difference between all of them.
rbb825
on 3/30/12 7:16 am - Suffern, NY
The best iron for us to start on is carbonyl iron with vitamin C - it is easily absorbed, easy on our stomach and non-constipating. Not all carbonyl irons are the same though. Many of them are sold with not enough vitamin C in them including many of the bariatric sites and if you take it without enough vitamin C, you wont absorb it. You need to take 200mg of vitamin C for every 30mg of iron and this is a must - some are part carbonyl and part ferrous which isnt' good either since we cant' absorb ferrous irons.

If you go to vitalady.com and look for tender irons - there are 25mg ones - these need to be take with 200mg of vitamin C each. These work fine but you need to take alot of them - minimum starting dose is 60mg but most need alot more - my NUT starts patients off at 150mg, especially those with lower levels and most females have lower iron levels. Then there are the 60mg capsule and they have the vitamin C already in them. These work great and are wonderful at bringing up ferritin levels.

I can tell you had lost so much blood after my kidney surgery - prior to my blood transfusion, my hematologist got permision for me to take these in the hospital - I took 4 every night before I went to bed and I started at 20, and in 5 days, I was up to 75 - pretty good for 5 days of iron. Granted you don't need to take 4 of them, but if you take 1 or 2 of them, your levels will go up nicely

Your vitamin D - you can get it at the same website - I dont' know how much you are taking now to get to the level of 43.  We want our levels to get up to around 80-100 to get ideal protection from osteoporosis.  43 isn't as bad as most people that start out, so are a little bit ahead of the game but you need to get on some high dose D so it doesnt' get any lower.  I would recommend getting some Dry D3 either 10,000 units daily which would work great - that is half way between 50,000 units once and twice per week or you could get the 50,000 unit capsules and take it once per week the first week and then twice per week the second week and then get your levels rechecked in 2 months but don't go beyond 2 months because dry D3 works really well and some people respond by going up  too high and other respond not well and need much higher doses - so you need to know which one you are - taking too much can be toxic but not if you take it for short term and not at this dose - there are people that take it daily and wonder why they end up in the 200's or higher. 

The Dry D3 - at vitalady.com comes in 5,000 units or 50,000 units called D3-5 or D3-50.  The 50,000 unit ones would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to take them daily.  Take them with one of your calcium doses.

If you want to PM me the rest of your labs, there many times are other things that we think are normal that inturn really arent' for us.  We need optimal level in somethings - somethings need to over the top and some can be just normal.  I would be glad to go over them with you if you would like the help.

rbb

Most Active
Recent Topics