Anyone have experience with a Bipolar parent?

poet_kelly
on 4/3/12 12:05 pm - OH
So I would just continue that after your surgery.  Set boundaries, limit your time with her, end the visit if she gets inappropriate in any way.  You might not want her to visit you in the hospital or as soon as you get home.  You can just tell her you'll be sleeping a lot and that you'd rather wait to visit when you feel a little better.

If she's calling you all the time, you could give her a certain time that is good to call, like from 5:00 to 8:00 pm, and just not answer when she calls at other times.

This is one of those situations where you've got to keep reminding yourself that her illness is leading her to say inappropriate things and you can't listen or take it personally.  You have to stay detatched a little.  You can't buy into her moods.  I know that's much easier said than done.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

artroxy blue
on 4/3/12 12:11 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks! 

I know she can't control it, and I've been working very hard to keep her at a distance. I can't afford to get swallowed up in all that drama anymore. I do set limits and she doesn't respect them, so I call her when it's convenient, or when I have to change a poopy diaper. LOL Can't talk long with one of those!
Tonya499
on 4/3/12 9:49 pm - Riverton, UT
 My daughter is bipolar and refuses medication.  I'm sorry you have to deal with it with your mom.  It's a tough disease!

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
artroxy blue
on 4/3/12 10:42 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks! At least we know that there is a diagnosis. My mom wasn't diagnosed until her mid-40s so there were a lot of years of frustration. Hopefully, your daughter will eventually take meds. They really do help with controlling the symptoms. And, hope you have a support system to deal with the highs and lows. ;)
Kim H.
on 4/4/12 12:27 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
If you told the therapist your story about the birth of your daughter I'm not surprised she told you not to see her. It sounds like a good idea to see her rarely or limit her to the phone only. My mother is bipolar and I know how you feel. Luckily, (as mean as this sounds) I no longer speak to her since she refuses to get help and I was unwilling to suffer from her disease as well. That has been a blessing for me in many ways even though I felt guilty admitting it for a long time. Just take care of yourself and really watch your food intake/hunger when you have any contact with her. Also, if you're not in therapy regularly you may want to look into it so you can get some help dealing with your issues and her issues. It's a tough road, I know. Loving someone who is sick and hurtful because of their disease is very hard to handle. Just do your best and remember she's crazy, literally, so you don't have to really listen to what she says. Easier said than done but I hope it helps. You're not alone, remember that. Look at all of us who are in the same situation! Good luck on the surgery and keep us posted. 

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
artroxy blue
on 4/4/12 5:19 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thank you for understanding. 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 187 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?