Hello Everyone...I'm New to This, But Excited

cinchosis
on 4/4/12 9:24 am - Lilburn, GA
RNY on 03/29/12
Okay, so this is my first post and I am just wanting to write and see who else is out there that may have recently had surgery, or has some great pointers as I start this journey. I had a RNY on March 29, 2012 - yes, just last week! I was released from the hospital Saturday afternoon and I am finding that I miss my food. I'm trying not to, but I just do. It's not like I want pizza or a burger...I just want to eat something other than having a shake. I do understand I need to give my body time to heal, but when I see my family still sitting around having turkey sandwiches, fried chicken, french fries, etc.. , and then I look down at an 8 oz. shake that I barely even like - it just made the first week home very difficult. So, I told a friend this evening of my struggles and she suggested that I get out here and find people that were in, or had been, in the same position as a way to divert my attention to something else. I can say after surfing this website and looking at some of the tools that I can use every day to track my progress, I do feel more encouraged. Also, as I am writing this, I am feeling a bit more relieved to be doing something else. It's not that I am hungry, because I am not. I have just been on a liquid diet for a week and it is just driving me crazy while everyone else is just going on eating. Of course everyone else around me is in shape, something that I want to be. Well, I just wanted to take a moment to write something and see who is out there. If there was anyone that I could connect with as I start this journey because I need something else to look forward to other than food.
Jessica A.
on 4/4/12 10:06 am - Auburn, AL
 Welcome!!  Although i'm not as "new" as you, I do remember feeling the same way as you.  It's completely normal to have the feelings you are having.  I went through a good solid month of frustrations with food.  It does get better.  My surgeon/NUT plan allowed me to have things other than just shakes so I was not tied down to just shakes.  I just wanted to let you know that I understand your feelings and that it does get better.  :)

Jessy
cinchosis
on 4/4/12 11:36 am - Lilburn, GA
RNY on 03/29/12
Hello Jessy,

Thank you soooo much for responding to my post and letting me know that I was not alone in my feelings. My sister had her RNY about 12 to 13 years ago and has some great pointers for me, but it's still a little different talking to someone that has years, and years, and years of experience and this is my first week. I was feeling a little down because, though I was not hungry, I wanted to taste the food that was being eaten around me...just a taste. However, a stronger part of me did not want to do anything to jeopardize the surgery or make me feel bad physically and emotionally (like if I did taste anything I had failed).

I appreciate knowing that it will get better. :-)

Cinchosis
tjmgray
on 4/4/12 10:07 am - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
 welcome, I had my surgery just a few days before you and I understand completely. I can hardly stand the protien shakes, and my grandson is here for his spring break. He and my husband are eating all kinds of stuff pizza , burgers etc. I don't really want them as I am not very hungry but the smell really makes me want to taste it. I just went on purred foods on Monday and I can tell you that mashed potatoes never tasted so good after two weeks of the full liquids. Everyone says it gets better to hang in there. I ahve been reading, crocheting, playing games etc to keep busy and walking a couple times a day.

cinchosis
on 4/4/12 11:44 am, edited 4/4/12 11:46 am - Lilburn, GA
RNY on 03/29/12
Wow...we had our surgeries almost back to back!!! Thank you for writing to me and letting me know that I was not alone. I really, really appreciate your honesty and words of encouragement. I am checking out other things I can do besides eat and think of food as we speak because something had/has to give. My sister, who was here for my surgery and had the same about 12 to 13 years ago, brought me a bag of yarn as she said crocheting was also a big help to her. So, I will buy a book over the weekend to teach me how to crochet because I have no idea, but the yarn is definitely something I want to make something with - there are some great colors and stuff.

Please stay in touch with me so we can touch base on our progress. I would love to continue to hear from you.

Cinchosis
slashes
on 4/4/12 10:46 am
That is so normal - feel free to read my blog, link is below, and you will see I was not any different. I was dying to just chew something, BUT those feelings beleive it or not will slowly fade as you shrink and se the changes. I was told that and said "yeah right" and you know what it did happen. So hang in there it truly does get better, trust me.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

cinchosis
on 4/4/12 11:55 am - Lilburn, GA
RNY on 03/29/12
Hello, thank you for responding to my post and  for sending me the link to your blog!

I have already started to read through your posts and it will truly give me something to do other than think about food. I would also like to start working on my own blog. My sister had suggested that I keep a journal, and she and one of the nurses at the hospital both bought me one, but I hate writing in a book. I like to type because I can get what I need to say out faster (and do spell check - LOL). I do want to track my journey, not just so I can help others, but so that I can help myself through this period in my life. A lot of my friends supported my choice to have surgery, but still, as they were already in great health, thought if you just control your eating and exercise...you did it before, you can do it again. At 37, almost 38 years old, and struggling with obesity almost all my life, I just grew plain old tired of the battle with my weight. Then, last year my house caught fire, I went through a nasty divorce, etc. I wanted to do something for me to take control of my life again. I want to be healthy and not keep up this yo-yo diet thing I had been doing for years. I really appreciate my doctor and his staff and the fact they will be with me on this journey, but there is nothing like talking to people who are, or have been, in your shoes.

Thanks Again!

Cinchosis
Calliou
on 4/4/12 11:00 pm
RNY on 03/27/12
I had my surgery on the 27th, and feel like I am starving later on in the evenings... or when my bf is cooking supper, it smells soooo good... I just want a bite... but I know I can't.
I know so well what you are going through!
We can make it. We WILL make it! 

Hang in there gal...  (((HUGS)))

cinchosis
on 4/5/12 12:00 am - Lilburn, GA
RNY on 03/29/12
This is just sooo cool!!! I love that I am meeting people that know what I am talking about and can understand my frustration. Like you, I just wanted a bite (LOL), but know I can't as well. I am just so tired of the shakes I don't know what to do, and they don't taste that great either - except for the banana. I like the banana flavored Bariatric Advantage shake. I am down to my last three days for shakes and then I move on to mushies. However, if I could find a protein shake that I liked, I would not mind so much being on a liquid diet for another week. I actually think that would be beneficial, but I have to find a brand of shake that I like, and that has all of the nutrients and protein that I need at the same time. I am going to contact my nutritionist today to discuss the shake that I am thinking about purchasing once what they gave me is gone.

I was mentioning yesterday that it's not that I am hungry, or want a lot of the foods that I was eating - I just want to chew something other than vitamins.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 429 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 356 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 281 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 161 views
Recent Topics