RNY or Sleeve?

CathyD1968
on 4/11/12 4:29 am - OH
RNY on 04/30/12 with
 Just a question. My doc thinks the RNY is my best option, but due to alot of scar tissue that I have he said he might not be able to do it laproscopicly. So I have to make up my mind quick what I want him to do if he can't. Either it will become a wide open RNY or a sleeve. Anyone have an opinion? Which do you think is best?? Thanks!
txtumbleweed
on 4/11/12 5:46 am - TX
I would think about what you desire to be your final outcome.  I wanted the sleeve to begin with, but after my doctor suggested RNY I decided to go with the RNY.  Are you concerned with it being an open RNY?  I decided on RNY because it's been around longer and you tend to lose more weight with it than the sleeve.  I would still choose RNY today even if I knew it would have to be an open procedure.  It's a personal decision.  I say don't let the open procedure scare you away from an excellent choice.  Good luck!

Gail Wilson
RNY 12/27/11

Hzleydgal
on 4/11/12 7:01 am
I am 2 weeks out from having RNY surgery. I was going back and forth between the Sleeve and RNY and in the end I chose RNY because for me it had the best long term results. I have friends that have the Sleeve and while they seem to be happy now, I can see the writing on the wall for them. It will be interesting to see where they are a year from now. I think whatever surgery you decide on is a very personal decision. Both good choices, the long term success was what swayed me to RNY.
Neaucora
on 4/11/12 7:31 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
I also have been going back and forth between the two. I have done a TON of research on both. I have found lots of people with the sleeve that have stretched it out a couple of years down the road. I know that can happen with the RNY also, but have not been able to find them as easily. I also have 120lbs to loose. And you do not loose as much with the sleeve as you do with the RNY. So I finally decided on the RNY. If you go to YouTube and look up gastric surgery and then look up the different surgeries you will find a lot of people that have had both. And you can watch the surgeries or animations of them too. I met alot of friends on YouTube and learned a ton of stuff. Hope that helps.

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 4/11/12 7:33 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I am a new band to bypass and I originally wanted the sleeve but I went with what my doc recommended . He felt I needed the extra advantage of malabsobtion .
I guess it would depend on a lot of factors , BMI , prior success with diets. I only lost with the band the first year because I dieted like crazy and lost a little the second year then spent 5 years gaining. Nice thing about the sleeve is you have restriction right away , and that is a help.
Best wishes in making your descision

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

CathyD1968
on 4/12/12 11:42 am - OH
RNY on 04/30/12 with
 Thanks Everyone!  I think I am going to stick with the RNY. I have alot to lose and it does seem the best fit!  Just hoping and praying I make the right decision!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 173 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?