liver enzymes up

TamaraL
on 4/25/12 12:30 pm
so back at the end of march I had extreme pain in my pouch and down near belly button  obviously they think its ulcer with the symptoms i had.

BUT i also have been having pain on right side.lots of pain in right upper quandrant.  I already had gallbladder removed. so they did blood work before CT scan and my liver enzymes were really high.

I have to be rechecked in July
Can taking Tylenol pm nightly cause this or a dose of hydrocodone cause this.  I did take hydrocodone the night before. I have not hurt that much since i had the band removed and the bypass done. i have had to take tylenol pm since surgery because not sleeping

i am shocked that liver enzymes were up. 

Tamara

CarolBeth
on 4/25/12 2:07 pm - SoCal, CA
I have heard that high doses of Tylenol can cause liver damage, but if you have just been taking it at night, that doesn't sound like enough.  I have no idea, but just want to send out my support and best wishes.  Keep us updated on what you find out. 

I am extra-interested, since my liver enzymes are suddenly up too.  I haven't had any pain issues.  Best of luck to you.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

ritarugger
on 4/25/12 3:31 pm - NY
Tylenol can affect your liver enzymes the next day. I was banned from donating blood to the ARC because my test vile came back indicating bad liver function. I followed up with my doctor and they were fine. He told me that if I took Tylenol the night before I donated that it could cause my enzyme count to be high (which I had-3 at one time). Tylenol is extremely tough on the liver.
Ladytazz
on 4/25/12 5:36 pm
That is interesting to know.  I have been dealing with elevated liver enzymes for a while, too.  I even had an ultrasound and a biopsy and both were normal.  I do take a lot of Tylenol and other pain meds since I have been having problems with head and neck pain.  I wonder if that is the cause.  Wouldn't that show something on the biopsy or ultrasound?  It really is a mystery to me and my doctors.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

rbb825
on 4/28/12 3:17 pm, edited 4/28/12 3:19 am - Suffern, NY
no, it doesnt show on the ultrasound or biopsy - if you had taken enough tylenol to cause liver failure, that would have shown up. I know I mentioned to you when this first started that taking anything with tylenol, PPI's or statins can all affect your liver functions. You have to look at all your drugs that you take to see what has tylenol in because alot of thing have it that we dont realize - obviously your tylenol does, most pain meds have it including narcotics that you are taking for your neck pain, sleep meds over the counter = many have tylenol and benedryl in them. cold medicines have tylenol in them. You need to add up the total and if you are consistantly going over 2000mg you need to be careful and if you go over 3000mg, you need to cut back because it can caues liver failure - there is a black box warning on them. Years ago, you could have 4000mg but so many people suffered liver failure between the tylenol and the PPI's and the statins so they had to cut the dosages. also any alcohol post op for anyone with liver problems can cause severe problems along with the other stuff

girls who take diet pills cause severe liver problems. On top of this, you had the high vitamin A and rapid weight loss. I dont remember what your biopsy said. but I would definitely watch your tylenol intake if you still have high liver enzymes - over 100 or close to 100

iisme
on 4/25/12 10:47 pm

At a little over one year post-op my liver enzymes were THROUGH THE ROOF! Crazy high, like 400. I was also getting this weird pain in my abdomen which made me curl up in a ball in bed for about 45 minutes. A ct scan showed I had fatty liver. I was taking Tylenol at the time, I was also having a glass of wine every night. The PCP instructed me to STOP the wine and the Tylenol for a month and come back for a recheck. I did and the levels were down significantly. She informed me that it is VERY hard on the liver to go through rapid weight loss, it puts a huge strain on the liver. We have to be gentle with it. Especially just after rapid weight loss.
That's what I was told anyway.
FYI...my liver is totally back to normal now that I am almost 3 1/2 years post op

10 pounds loss pre-op
TamaraL
on 4/25/12 11:48 pm
it makes since.  I have a recheck in July.  I am trying to not take the tylenol pm if i don't need it.  I am sleeping almost all night most nights which is a good thing.

Tamara

kittehkitteh27
on 4/26/12 1:53 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
If you are taking tylenol pm just to help sleep and not for pain relief, I would recommend just getting a sleep aid. If tylenol pm works for you then get a sleep aid with the same ingredient in tylenol pm. No need to ingest tylenol if all you need is the sleep aid. Check the ingredients and shop the medicine aisle.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

lanagirl
on 4/26/12 3:32 am
I was thinking the same thing! Why take Tylenol to sleep?? Just take a sleep aid!

iisme
on 4/26/12 12:51 pm
I take Ambien but then again I have totally different issues beyond just insomnia. Take a sleep aid or benedryl. They are basically the same thing without the Tylenol.
Good luck!

10 pounds loss pre-op
Most Active
Recent Topics