What should I expect...

Wirick27
on 4/30/12 9:38 am
 Ok so I'm scheduled for surgery and I know that right off things will not be ideal...but what downfalls are there to life after surgery.  I know no time release meds...I can live without sweets... What are some other adjustments that everyone doesn't talk about?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/30/12 9:44 am - OH
Don't go into surgery EXPECTING to have trouble eating and drinking, being nauseous or vomiting, etc., because MOST people have very little trouble. The problem is that on forums like this, it is the people who are in the minority who ARE having trouble who need to post.  People don't post just to say "10 days out and no problems at all".  So these forums give the impression that problems are the norm when, in fact, they aren't.

Numerous psychological studies have shown that when people expect to have a certain outcome, they are much likelier to, indeed, HAVE that outcome... that the expectation can affect the experience... so expect that you will be one of the majority who has not trouble at all!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 4/30/12 9:50 am
Expect to stall out for some time around the two to five week mark... I stopped losing from week 3 through week 8 (35 days, I didn't lose an ounce)

Expect to THINK you're a "slow loser" but try to hold off on making that judgement until you are six months out. If you haven't lost 50% of your excess weight by then you ARE a slow loser

Don't expect the weight loss to make sense. I lost a truckload of weight one week out of every four, a little bit of weight one week out of four, flatlined for one week out of every four and GAINED FREAKING weight one week out of four.

Don't expect it to be EASY and don't expect it to be HARD. Some folks have it really tough and they aren't ready to be a post-op person and deal with recuperation. Some folks have it easy and think there is something wrong with them because it ISN'T hard

Protein Protein Protein

You might have to learn to tolerate protein shakes in the beginning (think of them as medicine). As long as you focus on protein frst, particularly when you eat solid foods, you should be good.  

Don't EXPECT to dump on sugar. 7 out of ten don't. BUT .... EXPECT to dump..... plan your life as if you will dump when you have too much sugar ****ep mine to single digits). Never test it and you'll never know, but if you never know and always expect it, then you'll be living the rules more. Some folks test test test and get mad when they find they don't dump. Most don't.

HUNGER is a multifaceted thing. When you "feel" hungry as a larger person a LOT of that sensation is NOT real thin-person hunger. EVERY BIT of NOT-THIN-PERSON hunger you had prior to surgery is likely to be with you and screaming its bloody head off after surgery. Expect it and discount it. UNDERSTAND that the large-person hunger signals are often a variety of other ssignals that your body and mind have learned to interpret as "hunger"... boredom, habit, cravings, etc..... just live the plan

Don't expect to "feel full" for months and months. I started to feel restriction at six months and felt it consistently at 9 months on. Live by the rules and eat the appropriate sized meals. If you plan to eat until you feel full, that might not happen readily because the nerves are cut. Limit your serving size (I got dishes the size of my meals... 3 oz dixie cups and filled them 2 thirds full).... at six months to a year expect to feel the sensation of full.

Supplementation is essential. Take your vitamins. Some vitamin deficiencies result in PERMANENT damage.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 9:54 am - OH
No NSAIDS.  That has been a much bigger problem for me than I had imagined before I had surgery.

Not drinking with meals or for a while after eating.

the large number of vitamin supplements most post ops end up needing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dizzylizzy19
on 4/30/12 11:26 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
So the question remains... what do you use for pain management besides NSAIDS.  This coming from someone who takes a lot of pain relievers for migraines.
poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 11:27 am - OH
Tylenol or Vicodin is what I use.  Tylenol is the only over the counter option besides NSAIDS.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dizzylizzy19
on 4/30/12 11:30 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
Humm.  that's kind of frustrating.  I take a lot of percoset - most of the OTC stuff doesn't work any more for me.  I guess the doctors understand the piece of NSAID so they will prescribe other stuff to you.

Thanks Kelly
poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 11:31 am - OH
Some will prescribe other stuff.  Some don't seem to understand that we can't take NSAIDS and will not prescribe something else.

carlydiva
on 4/30/12 1:55 pm
Percoset has been taken off the market because of adverse side effects....I had to tell my doctor this...
dizzylizzy19
on 4/30/12 2:01 pm - VA
RNY on 09/17/12

I looked it up, the generic has not been discontinued.