Newly diagnosed diabetes AFTER WLS?

Janet R.
on 5/3/12 12:19 pm - Peoria, IL
I know I will do whatever I have to do. BUT I am hopeful it is some sort of lab error!

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 1:32 pm - waukesha, WI

As we age, our pancreas can lose the ability to produce insulin from just wear and tear.  I know many diabetics of normal weight that develop diabetes in later life. 

dasie
on 5/3/12 7:38 pm
Does he think it could be a false reading.  Have you been symptomatic.  That is scary.  That is one of the main reasons I too had surgery.  My high BP returned one year post op.  My brother has type II diabetes.  He has had both feet partially amputated..only toes on one foot. Please re post and let us know the outcome.

Janet R.
on 5/10/12 10:27 am - Peoria, IL
Well, I had a fasting blood sugar done and it was 91. Normal. I had a Hemoglobin A1C done at the same time and it was 5, which is normal and supposed to be indicate an average blood glucose of 97, which is also normal.
So the doctor said no diabetes. But it is a re flag to me to star****ching my carbs better! I had been in a carb addiction phase, the more carbs I was eating, the more I was wanting. Prior to the high sugar I had eaten a McD's chicken sandwich, some GS cookies (which I had near dumping symptoms from) and about 30-45 min prior to blood draw I had a regular size package of Twizzlers...so I kind of asked for it. But I still think that 307 is terribly high even if I did eat that stuff. So I am back on the wagon as they say!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 5/3/12 9:14 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
My dad has Type II diabetes, and he's extremely healthy, normal weight, and a runner (at 75).  He was diagnosed in his 40s and has been on meds ever since.

Like a PP said, it could have been worse without the WLS.

And it still could ******ror.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Most Active
Recent Topics