a quick little potty question

Chipples5
on 5/6/12 12:31 am, edited 5/6/12 12:48 am
I had surgery on Monday 4/30. I have not had a BM since Sunday 4/29. I took about an ounce of milk of magnesia recommended by my doctor last night. I still have not had a BM though. I am not in pain, I have NO problem passing gas but I can't get anything to move. People keep talking about bowel obstructions and how they can be deadly. Does this seem like its going there? What should I do other than call my doc again?

poet_kelly
on 5/6/12 12:47 am - OH
Do you feel constipated?  Maybe you just don't need to poop.  If you've been on all liquids for a while, there would not be much solid waste in there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chipples5
on 5/6/12 12:55 am
I don't feel constipated but I've never been so I don't know what to expect. (feel like an idiot for saying that) I have been having tons of protein drinks and I had a jar of chicken baby food and a little small curd cottage cheese but all protein drinks otherwise. Wouldn't there be something? I feel like a week is too long to not have a BM for anyone and I'd rather catch the big problems sooner than later. Maybe I'm overthinking and doing it to myself.
Erik0409
on 5/6/12 1:22 am - NJ
RNY on 03/15/12
are you taking in a lot of protein?  If not that can be the reason why.  You may not have enough in your system to come out as a solid.  In the begining (1st few weeks) I had a lot of explosive BMs which were basically a 1 plop diahrea. I actually liked them better then the constipation I suffered later on and still working to overcome.

soozieq
on 5/6/12 1:43 am
I've been on liquids for 3 weeks now (water, Crystal Light and protein shakes) and there's plenty of poop there. lol.. I have no idea where it's coming from!

I mix some miralax with my crystal light (tried it in water and didn't like it) and have a cup of that every day.  I have also resorted to MOM if I haven't had a poop in 3 days. 

I understand what you're saying though... it's like my bowels just don't want to function right and seem devoid of sensation.
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
glamour_04
on 5/6/12 1:50 am - Abilene , TX
 well you have had lots of pain meds and they will make you constipated i didnt have a bowl movement for 6 days. Ask your surgeon if you can continue to take the milk stuff plus u have to remember that your diet dirasticly just changed!
     I Dont Skinny Dip I Chunky Dunk!        
Coach2012
on 5/6/12 3:09 am, edited 5/6/12 3:10 am
 I wouldn't be too concerned if youre not in pain. I didn't have one for 5 days after my surgery, but once I did I was relieved everything was up and running. Its pretty normal to go awhile after surgery without one. I think it's nerve wracking when you have major surgery and things don't always work right away, you question if something's wrong, so I know how you feel! 

GraceB
on 5/6/12 8:25 am - IN
I feel like I'm constantly trying to keep one step ahead of constipation. I also had loose stools for weeks after surgery but now, at one year out, I take daily stool softeners. It's no surprise with all the iron, milk products and other protein we consume daily. I consider it a small price to pay for this new body!

rbb825
on 5/7/12 1:45 am - Suffern, NY
I was one of those people that had a severe bowel obstruction and am usually the first one to tell a poster to be careful of constipation but in your case, I dont think you need to worry about anything yet.  If you arent really putting anything in yet. you cant push anything out.  My surgeon told us that if we didnt have anything by day 6 or 7, to use Milk of Magnesia for 2 doses and if that doesnt work, to go get dulcolax suppositories at the pharmacy - my gastro doctor called in prior to my RNY in case I needed them and used them twice and nothing - then  I got a fleet enema and still nothing happened  = I didnt even have any gas.  That is when I went to my gastro doctor sent me  for a CT only  to find out I had a bowel obstruction  

for you, just get some Milk of magnesia and drink alot of water - if you dont drink you are just going to get plugged  up.    Once you have your first BM, make sure you continue to take either colace or miralax                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

jujubee4224
on 5/7/12 11:47 pm
RNY on 04/09/12
You said you were passing gas but no BM. Since you are passing gas, it would indicate that that you are having normal bowel activity. I am 4 weeks out and didn't have a BM for a week after surgery. I used some MOM and things started working. Even then, the stool wasn't hard or constipated. In fact, I felt fine but as a nurse I had a hard time knowing that I hadn't gone for a week. Now, I don't worry about my stools or lack of them as long as I am passing gas and feel all right. I have maybe one or two bm's a week. Since you are on a low residue diet, you are going to have less frequent bowel movements and less quantity. I would say, let your body be your guide. Every day you learn something new. Go with it and enjoy your new body.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 86 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?