Need information...surgery switch at last moment

grapeape1706
on 5/9/12 2:28 am - TX
When I first started researching weight loss surgery I had originally decided to do the lapband and done all the research for the lapband. I felt very comfortable with the procedure and the information I had obtained but here it is 3 weeks before my last Weight monitored Dr appt and the nurse practioner suggests me getting the gastric bypass. Based on my weight and body style she suggested I do the gastric because with some of the other patients in the past like me did not have very good results and she thought that the gastric would be better for me. So here I am changing and all the information I have studied on for the last 6 months is now null and void and I need to know as much as I can about the gastric bypass in less than 2 months. I want to be prepared so I can be confident when it comes time for surgery.....Can anyone please help and give me as much direction as possible...... 
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/12 3:01 am - Bay City, MI
I'm on my lunch break so I can't write much. The lapband is whack! I just mine removed 2 weeks ago. I know 1 person with Lap Band success, everyone else hates it. Can't speak much for RNY, (bc I just had it), but I definitely regret getting the band.
april89love
on 5/9/12 3:04 am - NC
There is a high failure rate with the lap band. I am very happy with the results of rny. The first couple of months are hard but after that you adjust to the new eating regimen and life is good.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

wolfpack6
on 5/9/12 3:29 am
 Hello,

I have a band and did not have sucess with it.  I did loose apx 80 lbs in the first year but gained it all back and more.  I am now preparing for the gastric bypass and am looking forward to a lifetime of sucess.  There are several reasons why the band failed.  If you are interested I can tell you more.  However, I wish I would have opted for the bypass to begin with.  Good luck to you with whatever road you choose.
grapeape1706
on 5/9/12 10:57 am - TX
oh yes please if you could tell me more I would be so greatful..........

I am 100% sure on the gastric NOW
Queen Koosa
on 5/9/12 3:40 am
So glad you are not getting the lap band, so many issues with it.

I'm 5 years out today and loving life.  My health is 100% better my weight the day of my wls was 243, today it is around 122.  I'm 5'7", have had no problem with regain.

You will do great with RNY. 
DON'T DREAM YOUR LIFE.
 LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Adrianne_Dawn
on 5/9/12 4:20 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 I originally went in thinking "I'm getting the lapband" the RNY scared the crap out of me (Still does a little not gonna lie).

I went to an informational and the doctor was pro Sleeve. I looked into and was interested but didn't like the fact that my GERD (Acid reflux) would continue if not get worse as well as my insurance doesn't cover it. 

Finally I met with my surgeon and was still thinking lapband until he sat down and told me that in his honest opinion I'd be far more successful if I went with the RNY.  One of the reasons was my weight - you have a higher chance of losing all or most of the weight you need to lose to be healthy.  Secondly, I have PCOS and the lapband doesn't change anything medobolically therefore this would stay the same and I'd have an even harder time losing weight then someone that does not have PCOS and gets the lapband. Thirdly, the failure rate on a lapband is about 66%.  

It just didn't make sense - between the slipping and long term issues of a lapband, the fact I wouldnt lose the kind of weight i wanted and because health wise things wouldn't change I decided to go with the RNY.  

My surgery is on May 21st.  Yes, I'm scared - but very excited at the same time.  

Good luck on your decision I'm sure you will do what works for you best! 

grapeape1706
on 5/9/12 10:56 am - TX
OMG you must be so excited.....The 21st is coming up so fast oh please keep us posted on here I am very intrgued to see how it is going to be post op........
Adrianne_Dawn
on 5/9/12 11:25 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 I will for sure keep people posted. You can always check out my page or add me as well. It's a scary process but I think in the long run our life will be even better! 

iisme
on 5/9/12 6:09 am
Wow!  I could've written your post  back in December of '08.   I was all prepped for the Lap Band. That's what I wanted, I wouldn't even look into or research RNY. I viewed it as irreversible, out of date and for those who clearly had never heard the joys of the Lap Band.
It wasn't until my final surgeon's appointment. We were booking a date and the surgeon said, "You know Nora, I will do Lap Band if that's what you want but I really want you to research gastric bypass the same way you did the Lap Band. There is one thing I don't want and that's you sitting across from me 2 years from now, still morbidly obese and asking for a revision to gastric bypass when we could just do it now" 
I did as he suggested, I went home and scoured the Internet, asking folks, coming on this forum and really doing a research for about a week. I called the office a week later and told them to switch me to RNY and I had the surgery 2 weeks later.
I am so dang glad I did too!  My insurance changed dramatically 9 months later to a policy with a WLS exclusion. Fills and follow up would not have been covered. Worst of all if I had any sort of complications like a lot of people do they would've taken out my band and I'd be back to square one.  

10 pounds loss pre-op
Most Active
Recent Topics