Incision pain, upper left quadrant

smittyg
on 5/10/12 6:16 am - NY
RNY on 05/01/12
 Had my procedure on May 1st. All is fine with the exception of pain around my upper left side incision. It is mildly swollen, light red on the upper side and quite pain full. The area around it it hard to the touch. It is painfull when coughing or sitting the wrong way. Been of off pain pills for a few days now, took one today.

I have read about some incisional pain in the forums, did not really see any posts similar to mine.
I understand you folks are not MD's. Just looking to see if other RNYers have experienced the same thing. 

On a positive note, 327 when I started the pre-op diet, 296 yesterday.  Yeah!!
 "You cannot discover new oceans without courage to lose sight of the shore"
swampwoman
on 5/10/12 6:25 am - Hampton, NJ
It may be infected.  Is it hot?  Red?  I would call the surgeon.  Not after RNY, but after my gallbladder was removed, it got infected and they had to open it up and clean it out and pack it.  It would probably be better to get it checked out, because mine happened approximately 2 weeks after the surgery.
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
WayCoolJr
on 5/10/12 8:22 am
RNY on 05/01/12
I had my RNY on May 1st, too.  I am also still quite sore in that same spot, but not swolen or anything.  I would definitely call the surgeon, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck! 

soozieq
on 5/10/12 11:40 am
I have had a lot of pain in the left side, but it is now going away.
However, I did not have any swelling or inflammation.  That sounds like an infection.  Have you checked your temperature?

I really think you should call your doctor.  
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
snoopy123
on 5/11/12 12:32 pm
 It is where they cut the muscle during surgery.  I had it for about 2 weeks, then it went away.  They gave me muscle relaxers.  I also used a heating pad.
 SW:244CURRENT WEIGHT 183