4 days post-op and gas question

kimbercat
on 5/13/12 12:49 pm - WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Hi. I'm new here and just learning my way around, but I have a question I'd like to ask those of you who have 'been there, done that'. I had surgery (Roux-en-Y) on Wed, 5/9/12, and I'm still having alot of bloating and gas without passing much of it or having a bowel movement. I'm sure it's significant since the nurses in the hospital kept asking me if I was passing much gas, but I don't know if I should be concerned yet or not. I've actually even GAINED several lbs since prior to surgery.  I've had ongoing issues with constipation prior to my surgery, as I'm on high doses of narcotic pain meds, and I DO NOT want to go there this soon after surgery!  I can definitely hear lots of rumblings and feel the gas working its way around in there, but just don't seem to be passing much of it, and I'm feeling very bloated and somewhat uncomfortable.  I'd be very grateful if some of you more experienced folks who have already gone through this could share their experiences and opinions as to whether or not this is the usual course post-op, or at what point I should be concerned and call the doc. Thanks so much, and I look forward to getting to know some of you.

poet_kelly
on 5/13/12 12:55 pm - OH
It's normal.

You gained weight because they pumped you full of fluids.  It'll come off soon.

Walking a lot is the best way to get the gas out.  You can also try rocking in a rocking chair (or just rocking back and forth like you're in a rocker, if you don't have one).  You can use Gas-X.  A heating pad on your belly might help it feel better but the movement is what will help get the gas out.

Are you taking anything for constipation?  Constipation is pretty common after RNY and if you had that issue before surgery, you might wanna take something.  A lot of people seem to have good results with Miralax.  You can of course call your surgeon if you want advice about the best thing to take.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AUDREY A.
on 5/13/12 1:16 pm - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12
I still have Gas and as for the weight gain.. I gained 9 lbs after my surgery..... which I was told
that is normal for some people.. You will loose it..

Audrey

kimbercat
on 5/13/12 4:37 pm - WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Thanks Audrey and Kelly. I figured this probably was fairly normal, but just wanted some reassurance. I had actually already begun taking Miralax when I came home from the hospital Friday just because I knew that this would most likely be an issue for me, and that Miralax would be a safe and mild laxative. I also stocked up on Fleets Enemas, glycerine suppositories, and Magnesium citrate....just in case....but would definitely check with my surgeon first before using any of those. Were either of you given anything to take home (rx) to help with the gas? I know they were giving me something in my IV while I was still in the hospital, but didn't send me home with anything. I'm guessing that was most likely just for the worst of the gas immediately after surgery, and that nature would take its course after a few days.

AUDREY A.
on 5/14/12 6:10 am - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12

Stock up on Gas X strips too.. If you want something warm instead of the Miralax, try Smooth moves tea, that may also help.

Audrey

Seven11
on 5/13/12 5:11 pm
 You are fine. Just fart. Let it go!!!

kimbercat
on 5/13/12 6:32 pm - WA
RNY on 05/09/12
On May 14, 2012 at 12:11 AM Pacific Time, Seven11 wrote:
 You are fine. Just fart. Let it go!!!

If only I COULD!!....lol.

Larry Wassmann
on 5/14/12 1:17 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

We had surgery on the same day. I did not have a lot of gas but some. I used GasX (3 chewable tabs at a time), and that helped. I take stool softener and now when I pass gas I better be on the potty because I usually have a small BM now when I pass gas.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

swampwoman
on 5/14/12 1:59 am - Hampton, NJ
What kind of stool softener do you use, if I may ask??
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
kimbercat
on 5/14/12 9:55 pm - WA
RNY on 05/09/12
On May 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM Pacific Time, Larry Wassmann wrote:

We had surgery on the same day. I did not have a lot of gas but some. I used GasX (3 chewable tabs at a time), and that helped. I take stool softener and now when I pass gas I better be on the potty because I usually have a small BM now when I pass gas.  

You're not kidding about 'being prepared' when you feel like you need to pass gas....lol. Thank goodness I didn't have to learn that the hard way! I'm just really glad to finally be getting everything going again.....and thanks to those that mentioned Gas-X strips.....I sent my hubby out hunting for them today, and I'm feeling much less bloated. I've also discovered that I currently don't need either the laxatives or stool softeners.....not sure if that will continue or not.

"What kind of stool softener do you use, if I may ask??"

As I've just discovered, I apparently don't need any stool softeners at this point, but when I do, I usually just pick up whatever is cheapest....usually the store brand in somewhere like Target... the active ingredient is docusate sodium 100 mg. I've also used combination stool softener plus stimulant laxative.....main ingredients docusate sodium 50 mg, and sennosides 8.6 mg. I don't know if they would work differently after WLS, but previously I found them to be very mild, and didn't end up with cramping or very loose stools like somthing stronger might cause.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 379 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 493 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 475 views