Revision

seeschell48
on 5/16/12 1:39 am - Canada
Has anyone had surgery in the states and then regained some of your weight and know how much weight you have to gain before you qualify for a revision?  I am so angry at myself.  I kept the weight off for 3 years.  I haven't gained all my weight back but I have gained some back.

Doctor:  Dr. Nunn, Michigan PATS: August 20th, New Patts:  August 27th.
 Surgery: RNY on September 4th  MY ANGEL:  IMSIDSMOM

Cheryl N.
on 5/16/12 2:05 am - Des Moines, WA
Before revising, try following the plan you were on when you were losing weight again and see if that helps.  What are the reasons you gained? Did you stop exercising?  Up your protein, etc.? 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/16/12 2:14 am - OH
What kind of revision are you looking for?  Band over bypass?  Additional intestinal bypass like the DS?

i have no idea what the requirements might be to qualify for revision in Canada, but I will encourage you to try to work the tool that you already have to its FULL potential before you consider another surgery.  What caused the regain?  If it is just a matter of eating too much or eating too many carbs or snacking, a revision surgery is not likely to help long term unless you address the core issue(s).  Try going back to basics: small (measured, if necessary) portions, protein first ALWAYS, very limited carbs, lots of water (but never WITH or IMMEDIATELY AFTER meals), no non-protein snacking.  I set a 5 pound weight limit for myself.  When my weight creeps up to that limit, I do what I outlined above and can get those 5 pounds off in about 2 weeks.  Unless there is some kind of mechanical failure (seriously stretched pouch or stoma), your tool still works IF you do your part and follow the rules.  I know how easy it is to let the portion sizes creep up and to allow too many carbs back into your diet (I am almost 5 years out), but I also know that many people who have revisions -- even those *****vise to a DS-style intestinal bypass and have to take even more vitamin supplements --  don't have much more success than they had with the original surgery if they don't go back to following the eating rules.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

seeschell48
on 5/16/12 3:28 am - Canada
Thank you for the info.  When I was 1 year out I couldn't seem to stop losing.  I  contacted my surgeon and they suggested uping my carbs.  Well that was fine but you know what the carb ride is all about and I started eating too much obiously.  It was ok at first but I started drinking liquids too fast and I feel I have stretched out my pouch because I can eat alot more.  I went down to 120 and now I am at 162.  I still get the feeling if I eat too much sugar or fat as when I first had the surgery.  Not as strong sometimes. I can tolerate the sugar better than the fat.  I know I have completely gone off my program and have noone to blame but myself.  I would rather try and loose the weight without a revision.  I started today the 5 day pouch test.  I am going on strictly liquids for 2 days and then puree for 3.  I am going to start all over again as if I had just had the surgery.  I am just so afraid I have stretched my pouch out and I wont be able to get this under control again.

poet_kelly
on 5/16/12 3:41 am - OH
It's really unlikely that your pouch is stretched.  It can  happen but doesn't happen often.  They make the pouch from the least stretchy part of your stomach.  But if you're afraid you might have stretched it, you can ask your doc to order an upper GI to look at the size of it.

If you are eating dense protein, something like chicken, and not drinking with your meal, how much can you eat?  Do you feel restriction then?

Going back to the basics is a good idea.  Most of the time, the tool still works, we just have to make sure we are using it correctly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

seeschell48
on 5/16/12 4:39 am - Canada
I am not drinking with meals.  I know I don't always wait long enough before eating after a drink but I do after eating.  I can eat a regular size pork chop, half a cup of mashed potatoes and half a cup of vegetables.  I just  know i can eat as fast as I did before the surgery.  I do eat at mcdonalds sometimes and I can eat a quarter pounder and med fry.I do feel full. 

poet_kelly
on 5/16/12 3:22 am - OH
I'm not sure how it works in Canada.  In the US, I think it depends on your insurance company (if you want them to pay for it) and maybe on the surgeon.  Some surgeons may be more likely to do revisions than others.   How much have you gained back?  Do you know why you gained it back?  Is it a physical problem that could be fixed with more surgery, or is it a lifestyle/eating habits thing?  If it's the eating habits, and your RNY is still in good shape (pouch not stretched, stoma the right size, etc) then there would be no need for a revision.  You'd just need to get back on track with your eating.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/16/12 11:22 am - Windsor, Canada
 You will NOT get a revision for 40 lbs. Unless you self pay.    you CAN lose on your own by going back to basics and eating a diet that is 40% protein, 30 carbs and 30 fat.  I was up around 27 lbs and have lost 15-17 lbs of those.  It's going to require a lot of hard work and commitment and plain old saying no to some foods.

You might find the myfitnesspal helpfu if you hav a cell phone.  They have an app that actual breaks your foods into a pie graph to show you percentages.   I find it very helpful.   

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

seeschell48
on 5/16/12 10:08 pm - Canada
Thank you Dawn.  I knew you when I was a newbie on here.  I wasn't planning on a revision for the weight I have to loose,  I was just inquiring.  I know I really got off program and I started the 5 day pouch test yesterday.  I have started to walk and I am going to go back to basics.  I am just disappointed in myself.  I have stayed at 160 for the last 6 months with no loss or gain.

Deborah

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/16/12 11:51 pm - Windsor, Canada
Remember Hun that a regain of 20 lbs is NORMAL if you lost over 100 lbs.   sugar is a big part of the reason we tend to gain. It makes us hungrier.  Drop by the Ontario board for lots of support and friendship. :-)

There's a daily accountability thread too

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics