Planning a vacation.via air: Yippee...no belt extender!

MBsRNY
on 5/25/12 1:31 am - Baltimore, MD
Last time I took a big vacation was nearly three years ago and I was at my highest weight ever. I was so humiliated to have to ask for a belt extender on the flight, which was long....Washington DC to Buenos Aires...and I was SO uncomfortable the whole way.   I actually stole the belt extender so  that I wouldn't have to ask for one on other flights...I would just that one on board in my purse and discreetly add it.

I'm  4 weeks out from surgery and down 36 pounds (counting presurgery diet) from my high weight. I still have a long way to go, but I know I'm already enough smaller to just sneak by without the extender. Woohoo!

Not to mention that I'm really looking forward to being able to walk more easily and enjoy seeing the sites in Germany this summer!   I'm not even worried about eating.  I'm not sure the friends I'm visiting will have a blender, so I don't plan to bring my shake mixes (my standard breakfast now)..  But I'll bring a container of unflavored protein and I figure Greek yogurt should be readily available for breakfast. With some added protein, I can get a big chunk of my daily needs there and then should easily be able to pick meats and fish for my other meals.  When I can't, I'll sprinkle more protein powder in whatever I do get. 
  HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
Pamofyork
on 5/25/12 1:51 am
RNY on 05/15/12
 Congrats! 
That just happened to me two weeks ago. What a great feeling!
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/12 2:01 am
RNY on 04/18/12
I never needed an extender -- just barely, mind you -- but I can't wait to see how much better I fit in the seats / seat belt when I fly to Poland next month!

It's amazing all the planning that is necessary to travel somewhere after having this surgery... even if it's just a day trip!  I think I might start working on a list now!  

Have a great vacation!
ChellbyB
on 5/25/12 2:37 am - CA
RNY on 03/21/12
Can't you pack a blendar bottle so you can still have your shakes?  It wouldn't take up much room at all and would ensure you get all of your protein every day :-)  Just a though.  Bon voyage!!
 Chellby

"That which doesn't kill me had better be able to RUN pretty darn fast!"

MBsRNY
on 5/25/12 2:52 am - Baltimore, MD
Chellby:  It's a bit more complicated, since I hate any shake unless it's disquised with 1/2 to 1 cup of frozen fruit and crystal light or other SF flavoring.  European freezers are tiny and I don't want to make my friends have to go through a big effort for me (getting frozen fruit, blender, etc.), so I figure that by doctoring up a fruited greek yogurt (again only palatable to me if it has fruit in it), I can get the same 23+ grams of protein from it to start my day as I do from my shakes.

It's actually what I sometimes eat for breakfast on weekends, to give me a break from the shakes I make every weekday at my office.  (Even with the fruit, I'm not all that fond of them!)  And at 4 weeks out, I'm already getting most of my protein from food....fish, chicken, yogurt, cheese...and last night...a very well-chewed hamburger patty. (promised to take my son out to his favorite burger dive.)

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
Most Active
Recent Topics