I don't know whether to think I'm lucky...or unlucky...

MBsRNY
on 5/27/12 11:20 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm about 5 weeks post-op and so far...nothing seems to upset my stomach.  Chicken. Cheese. Chili. Fish. The caramel calcium chews. Protein shakes, Fruit.. sweet potato. mashed potato. Curry. Peanut Butter. Yogurt. Quark Cheese. Even a  few strands of spaghetti.   NOt that I've trried everything yet, of course....not yet brave enough to skip to fibrous or raw vegetables (though I do strawberries, peaches and pineapple fresh/frozen in shakes.)

AndI can eat  1/2 cup of anything. (Don't know exactly how much because I serve up 1/2 cup portions and stop, but  at that point, I don't have even a little bit of "fullness" feeling.

Part of me thinks I should be grateful and shut up.  Part of me fears that it's just gonna be so much easier to slip up if my body just keeps chuggin along the same as always (albeit with much smaller portion sizes!).

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/12 11:33 am - WA
you might just be one of those who sails thru  unscathed. You will have to be ever vigilant to make sure you do not slip too far..I was one who showed no symptoms except Lactose intolerance. It was far too easy for me to slip just a little, well maybe just a little bit more, can't hurt for just this once. WTH who turned my scale up....dammit george stop shrinking my pants...you get the point.

Could also be that you have not tried to eat what you shouldn't, or over eat or too fast..could be your doing everything right for your surgery and your body
lesserman
on 5/27/12 11:37 am - Chicago, IL
On May 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM Pacific Time, MBsRNY wrote:
I'm about 5 weeks post-op and so far...nothing seems to upset my stomach.  Chicken. Cheese. Chili. Fish. The caramel calcium chews. Protein shakes, Fruit.. sweet potato. mashed potato. Curry. Peanut Butter. Yogurt. Quark Cheese. Even a  few strands of spaghetti.   NOt that I've trried everything yet, of course....not yet brave enough to skip to fibrous or raw vegetables (though I do strawberries, peaches and pineapple fresh/frozen in shakes.)

AndI can eat  1/2 cup of anything. (Don't know exactly how much because I serve up 1/2 cup portions and stop, but  at that point, I don't have even a little bit of "fullness" feeling.

Part of me thinks I should be grateful and shut up.  Part of me fears that it's just gonna be so much easier to slip up if my body just keeps chuggin along the same as always (albeit with much smaller portion sizes!).

Yes, you are...
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

grmadeb01
on 5/27/12 11:51 am - FL
i've not really had any problem at all either...i have only had a couple episodes of minor stuck, once with some raw carrots, and once with some left over steak and then another time left over chicken...so thats it for me....i have not thrown up once...so yes we are lucky....i too measure out and then pretty much stop, i do get a slight full feeling but i also get the low blood sugar if i dont eat so i pretty much eat on schedule once i start eating....
good luck and just keep trucking along
debby
happy_baker
on 5/27/12 12:05 pm, edited 5/27/12 12:07 am
RNY on 02/15/12
I'm definitely one of the lucky ones who has had zero food issues at all, aside from a couple mild dumping episodes when I've overdone it. I can eat anything--from super spicy Thai to red meat to bread to soda.

You're right, it's certainly a mixed blessing. On one hand, it feels amazing to feel so normal afterward. But on the other hand, feeling so unrestricted is what got me into this obese position to begin with.

I think people like us have to do a LOT of headwork. Because we don't have so much of the mandatory physical restrictions, it esentially comes down to whether we're willing to put in the effort to change our habits WITHOUT the physical restraint that we all sort of hoped for when we went under the knife. Sure, our portions are smaller, but a small portion of crap is still crap.

Enjoy your freedom, but be careful, and be smart. I've come to a point where it's a lot easier to recognize that just because I CAN eat something doesn't mean I should, and not having those intense junky cravings has helped a lot in keeping me on track. Stay focused, and stay on plan. You can do it. :)
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/27/12 12:29 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I am the same way and it really scares me , makes me wonder if this is really going to work !! I can eat just about anything and am loosing slow

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

soozieq
on 5/27/12 12:56 pm

I haven't had any issues except for when I had scrambled eggs (my pouch did NOT like that!) and last night I either had too much pork chop (probably) or ate too quickly (probably).  I was uncomfortable the rest of the night.  So I've taken it pretty easy today eating softer foods.

I'm really grateful I haven't had any issues (knock on wood!).  It was something I was very worried about prior to surgery.

Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
littleskie
on 5/27/12 12:58 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
Its different sometimes from day to day. For a long time nothing I ate bothered me. I ate chicken, eggs all the things that normally bothered RNY post ops.

Then one day I ate some of my son's thanksgiving turkey. He brined it and it was so moist and tasty. Well it didn't work. It caused me so much pain. I would have loved to have dump as at least then I know it will end. The pain of that turkey seemed to last forever.

Then I started having trouble with poultry, then it got better. After a while beef started giving me trouble.

It just changes now on a day to day basis. I had pork chops the other day and no problems yet I ate those same pork chops the week before, cooked exactly the same and they wouldn't stay down.

Be glad that nothing is bothering you right now. Tho measure everything. Maybe the nerves that were cut during the surgery may not have healed yet. Follow your surgeons advice.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Cherokeesage
on 5/27/12 1:15 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Protein drinks were the only product that I had issues with early out but they stayed down.  I've had no issues with any meat.  However, after I eat protein there usually isn't room for anything else.   I'm never hungry and have to remember to eat, drink and take vitamins.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Ladytazz
on 5/27/12 2:23 pm
It's like they say.  Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.  Besides, since when have negative consequences kept me from eating what I wanted?  I used to eat until I was sick and in pain on a regular basis and swear I would never do it again...until the next day when the pain was gone and once more I would go at it.  With my last surgery I had terrible side effects from my food choices and it didn't stop me a bit.  All it means if you don't have negative consequences is that you have to be more accountable to yourself.
Other then dumping, which I found out I did by accident, I don't know if I have any negative side effects from eating certain things or stuffing myself because I choose not to test the waters.  I just assume that I would be in incredible pain if I ate things like bread or pasta or if I kept eating past my measured amount for my meal.
I didn't have WLS to be punished for eating.  I had WLS to get help in eating smaller amounts and to help me stick with a healthier way of eating so my weight wouldn't be so out of control.  I have heard people actually claim that WLS cured their eating problems, that it caused them to not be hungry and to crave healthier foods.  I don't know what surgery they had but mine didn't do that, although I don't often get physically hungry, that never stopped me from stuffing myself.  I rarely allowed myself to be hungry before surgery.  In fact, I was so afraid of hunger that I ate pretty much around the clock to keep myself from feeling it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics