Cortisone Shots for Hair Loss?

poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 5:13 am - OH
An adult vitamin with 100% of the RDA of things, like the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery recommends all RNY patients take, would probably help.  Flintstones is very low in biotin, among other things they are low in or lacking altogether.  They are not adequate for RNY patients at all, but the lack of biotin in them may contribute to hair loss.  A quality ADULT multi is important for us all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DetroitGirl
on 6/2/12 11:42 pm
 My hair still grows pretty fast, it's just very thin now. I've struggled with anemia for years but I had a blood transfusion in February and my iron has been great since then. I was hoping to see some baby hairs but nothing yet. I'm back on biotin, so I guess I'll just keep hoping...
Kim H.
on 6/3/12 12:10 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
From what I've read the biotin is really not that helpful. I would attack it more from a nutritional standpoint. If you're anemic- to the point of requiring a transfusion- that's really very serious. If you're not absorbing iron, what is your absorption of other nutrients like? Really, even though it sucks, I'm not surprised your hair isn't growing because your body sounds like it's under constant stress. Keep working on your anemia and improving your overall nutritional health and see if then your hair improves. I think it will.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
DetroitGirl
on 6/3/12 1:33 am
I've been trying to attack it nutritionally, but really, all my levels are good right now (i've checked protein, iron, thyroid, etc). It's very frustrating, because I don't know what else could be causing it...
rbb825
on 6/3/12 9:52 pm - Suffern, NY
no one know why your levels got so low to need a blood transfusion?  Did you have an endoscopy and colonoscopy to check for any bleeding in your digestive system?  These are usually the number one reasons for this.  Sometimes they also check your urine to make sure it isnt coming from your urine/kidneys.

I had a blood transfusion in November but it was after losing an enormous amount of blood after having kidney stones blasted.  I pee'd dark red urine for 10-12 days = they couldnt get it to stop and finally got a blood transfusion - 2 procrit shots, tons of iron.

Have they checked to see if you have any ulcers, possibly in your remnant stomach that could be bleeding?  just some thoughts.  The bleeding has to be somewhere.

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/12 4:44 am - waukesha, WI
Hardest part from me is the hair loss.  I am really very depress about it.  I personally would not do cortisone shots for hair loss.  Cortisone is not the best for our bodies can cause weight gain, spike in blood sugar ect.  I am not saying I would not ever do cortsone shots but just wouldn't do it for hair loss.  I have turned down cortisone for other problems such as herniateds disk in my neck. 
Cherokeesage
on 6/3/12 7:53 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I have no idea where they give these cortisone injections for hair but I get them in my knees and back for pain.  It hasn't helped the knees but it has helped the back.  I have very fine thin hair that is getting much thinner on the top of my head.  Unless the cortisone is given to the scalp area makes a difference , I can say where mine is injected hasn't done anything for my hair.  I'm just over 3 months out and hope the thinning stops soon. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

DetroitGirl
on 6/3/12 10:07 pm
Did I imply that I didn't know why I needed the transfusion? Because if so, I certainly didn't mean to. It's the hair loss that I can't figure out the source of...
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views