vitamn question

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/3/12 1:13 pm - VA
I've decided to go with Centrum Silver for my multivitamins. I know that I should also get calcium and B12 but what form or brand should I get?? Thanks.
poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 1:28 pm - OH
You need calcium citrate, not carbonate or phosphate.  You can use any brand.  If you want chewables, you'll probably have to order online.  If you want pills you swallow, get any generic brand.  There is also a powder called Upcal D that I like.

For B12, you need a sublingual that dissolves under your tongue, or the prescription nasal spray, or shots.  If you want a sublingual, any brand will be fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/3/12 2:00 pm - VA
Thanks Kelly, I knew I could count on you!
JJ_
on 6/3/12 4:46 pm
How much iron supplement is in Centrum Silver?  If there is not a minimum of 18 gr per pill, then you will need a supplement of iron too.

Judy
poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 6:19 pm - OH
Centrum silver has no iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 6/3/12 6:43 pm - Suffern, NY
centrum silver has no iron and that is because most seniors dont need iron.  For us = we dont want iron in our multi - the regular centrum has 18mg of ferrous iron which we cant absorb.  It also has calcium carbonate in which we cant absorb.  Most people take there multi with there calcium citrate supplement which is fine as long as there is no iron in it to interfere with it.

therefore, we want centrum silver tablets or chewables = they have everything you need including selenium which is essential in a multi vitamin.  You take it 2 times per day preferably with your 2 of calcium citrate doses - 1 in the morning and 1 in early evening. then at bedtime - you need to take your iron supplement of carbonyl iron with vitamin C - you can get this at vitalady.com called tender irons either chewables for 25mg each - these you have to buy a separate vitamin C tablet or chewable - for each iron chewable - you need 200mg of vitamin C.  Depending on your iron and ferritin levels, determines how much you take - the usual starting dose is between 50-100mg per day for the chewables at bedtime..  If you can swallow capsules - the best option are the tender irons - 60mg capsules - they already have the necessary vitamin C in them - 400mg each.  Again, dosage depends on your levels but usual starting dose for these is 1-2 capsules or 60-120mg per day at bedtime.   

One key thing you need to know about iron and calcium is that they cant be taken within 2-4 hours of each other or thyroid medication - so you have to carefully plot your meds especially if you take synthroid.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

JJ_
on 6/3/12 8:49 pm
Hmmm, I guess I am not a senior as yet then.
rbb825
on 6/3/12 11:08 pm - Suffern, NY
I am not a senior but have been taking centrum silver chewables for the past 5 years.  they are the best multi's for us to take.  you dont have to be a senior to take them - all it means is there is no iron in them

JJ_
on 6/4/12 4:30 pm
Sorry, I guess I didn`t have my sarcasm font turned on.......
rbb825
on 6/3/12 7:40 pm - Suffern, NY
centrum silver is a great choice  for your multi - at the beginning it comes in a chewable that tastes good.  It needs to be taken 2 times per day and you are set.  Make sure to stick with the silver since you dont want any iron in your multi and the silver has selenium which you need and the regulars dont all have it.  there are so many different formulations.

For calcium - you have tons of options  - for chewables - you can go to the websites of bariatric advantage and celebrate and ask for samples of there calcium citrates - I get mine from bariatric advantage and the cherry lozenges are really good and chewies - I love the raspberry and lemon - chocolate is pretty good too.  I dont like the chocolate lozenges and the cinnamon ones are pretty mild and tastless - guess it depends on how you like your cinnamon - I like it hot. 

for your calcium citrate - you need 1500-2000mg per day in 3-4 daily doses no more than 650mg per dose atleast 2 hours apart and not within 2-4 hours apart from your iron or thyroid.  The

lozenges from bariatric advantage are 500mg each and the chewies are 250mg each, so you would take 2 at a time. From celebrate -they have chewie bites that are also 500mg each and I have heard are very good but very expensive.

once you can swallow pills, you can continue on the chewables or switch to citrical either the petites or maximums.  The maximums are 630mg for 2 tablets - so 2 tablets 3 times per day are 1890mg.  the petites are 600mg for 3 tablets and you take them 3 times per day for 1800mg.  If you go to Costco - you can get the equivalent of citrical in the kirkland brand and save alot of money for the same calcium citrate.  Read the label carefully

B12 - you can get any brand of sublingual b12 - minimum 1000mcg daily or  a monthly injection or many need alot more and increase based on there first set of labs.  You dont want to get B12 deficiency, it can be very serious.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 490 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 346 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics