Weirdness...the arbitrary nature of my pouch...

lesserman
on 6/4/12 12:57 pm - Chicago, IL
(Cue the theme music from the original TV show, "The Twilight Zone")

One week ago tomorrow, I am in a hurry leaving my office as I have a 5:30 appt and haven't really eaten much during the day so I grab one my Quest bars (Chocolate Brownie) and I'm taking small bites and chewing until it's almost liquified before swallowing AND driving AT THE SAME TIME (kinda like Albert Brooks' character in the film, "Broadcast News")...

However, it is clear that this particular bar is not sitting well with my pouch, but since this hasn't happened with this variety of Quest bar, I rationalize that there could be any number of reasons this is happening and I continue eating...and driving...at about half of the bar, I have to toss the rest...still trying to convince myself that it's nothing...in a little while, it will pass and I'll feel better...oh, the denial...50 minutes later I leave my appointment, and begin driving (mistake - the motion only makes the nausea worse)...yes, getting carsick while driving...

I refuse to acknowledge what I know is coming for as long as I can and eventually I have to pull off into a parking lot of a shopping mall where I'm sure that once I get sick, all will be better...not really...but I park there and just close my eyes for a while until the inside of my truck stops spinning...I decide to drive home and THEN...southbound on the Edens Expressway, I get the slimies all the way to the Kennedy Expressway junction...and then I felt better....

So...today, having not been able to eat much (but more than I did on a similar day last week), I decide that I need to eat something and I decide to see if my pouch still doesn't like the Chocolate Brownie Quest bar...again, I take small bites and chew thoroughly...no problems whatsoever...

Weird...
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Trianni
on 6/4/12 1:21 pm - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
I've been having pretty much the same problem. Foods that haven't been giving me any problems are suddenly turning on me for no apparent reason. Can't eat meat or fish anymore. Am limited to dairy, eggs, and beans for my protein. Got sick on green beans Friday night. Before then I had no problems whatsoever with green beans. Getting to where I'm afraid of eating anything!

Rebecca
Kelly L.
on 6/4/12 1:24 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 I hear you sir.. I hear you! 

HW 274. CW 129

JJ_
on 6/4/12 4:58 pm
You were under stress - hurrying to an appointment when you tried to eat.  Your pouch felt the tension and said....NO WAY.   It could have happened no matter what you ate.  It did not matter that you took small bites and chewed thoroughly.

All the best.

Judy
lesserman
on 6/4/12 8:32 pm - Chicago, IL
That had not occurred to me...not that I want to repeat the experiment and replicate the results, but I'll bet that you are correct...
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Cherokeesage
on 6/4/12 6:50 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I didn't have problems adding foods as I progressed but the first two months I would have episodes for no apparent reason other than it happened.  The closer I got towards the 3 month mark things improved significantly and my stomach doesn't seem all that sensitive.  I will always have issues in my digestive track so can't eat certain foods but I've dealt with that problem for years and know to avoid certain foods.   I read that some have pouch issues yrs out but  I hope mine are over for the most part.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

chatterpam
on 6/5/12 3:39 am - PA
Welcome to the wonderful world of the weird pouch! I am nearly a year out and still go through this from time to time. I tell others that just cuz you can eat it today doesn't mean the pouch will be as accepting tomorrow. And vice versa.

You'll get used to the strangeness. I learned that if a bite of two doesn't feel right to S-T-O-P!

Clarissa A.
on 6/5/12 4:15 am - RI
RNY on 02/08/12
I have to agree with JJ. I have noticed that whenever I am "hyped up" or aggravated, no matter wgat I eat makes me sick.
To be tested is good. The Challenged life may be the best Therapist - Gail Shea
clsino
on 6/5/12 5:13 am
I couldn't deal with quest bars when I was early out like you.  I wasn't able to start eating them until I was 1.5 years out from surgery.  They sat in my gut like a ton of bricks. 

Christy