A brand new NSV for me...

lesserman
on 6/5/12 1:31 pm, edited 6/5/12 1:41 pm - Chicago, IL
...and it is one that will likely be repeated (hopefully) several times over the next year or so...such being the case, I will only post only on this instance.

A couple weeks ago, I had a pair of trousers (that I wore when I was pre-surgery) dry cleaned so that I could take them back to the store from which they were originally purchased for the "free" alterations (more on that later)...

Yes, they were already somewhat too large when I went back to work toward the end of April...and I hadn't been wearing them much as the tongue of the zipper on the fly had broken and zipping the fly back up had become more bother than it was worth...

So today when I put them on for the tailor to mark, I was, quite literally, swimming in them...at the time, the tailor also advised me that after this alteration, it will not be possible to take in the waist and seat any further...pretty good news and it helped to mitigate the initial disappointment... which was this:

A certain national chain specializing in men's tailored clothing claims that any garment purchased in any of its stores is eligible for free alterations for the life of the garment...I don't want to name names (necessarily), but the initials of this chain of stores is Men's Wearhouse...after informing the sales associate the reason for my visit and confirming the chain's policy on alterations, I learned that:

for any given alteration (hemming, cuffs, taking in or letting out of the waist or coat, lowering the collar on a suit jacket or sports coat, shortening sleeves), if said alteration has not been done previously, the first time carries a charge (whatever the standard rate is in any given local market) and then if/when that same alteration is ever needed again, then there is no charge.

Anyone who has worked in men's tailored clothing knows that this is a great deal for the store and a lousy one for the customer...most men are not going to have the waist and seat of a pair of trousers or a suit jacket/sports coat taken in every time they manage to drop an inch or two...they'll wait until the difference in size requires it and by then, like my trousers today, it will be just about all the garment will allow...

I did not hide my displeasure and I let the sales associate know that I will, in fact, pay for this alteration this time but that Men's Wearhouse will never receive my business again as I feel its policy on alterations to be at least somewhat disingenuous if not outright dishonest...as a result, the charge for the alteration has been waived for me.

Never underestimate the power of a calm voice and resolution borne of conviction...

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/12 2:07 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 03/21/12
The initials are Men's Wearhouse...LMAO! I'm sorry you had to deal with this, but appreciate the giggle :-)
Don 1962
on 6/5/12 9:33 pm
I've had issues with them myself.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

mpjones
on 6/6/12 4:02 am
Well, that's a "sneaky" bit of advertising !! Glad you got the charge dropped--will have to put this bit of information aside for further use as I had planned on getting DH a new suit for Fathers Day from this store. Guess I'll be looking somewhere else. Thanks for the information.