antidepressants and weight gain/loss

tawnia49
on 6/7/12 10:28 am
I'm wondering if anyone in here has had any experience with effexor and weight gain or loss?  I was switched from celexa to effexor today by my doc.  It seems as though the celexa was having little to no effect on me after 4 yrs and he wanted to try me on effexor.  He said it may also help me to lose a bit of weight. However,  my online research (only in the forum/question format) tends to have people saying they gained while on it.  My clinical research shows that it is a bit of a stimulant and can lead to weight loss.  I am just wondering what your experiences have been!
Tawnia        
poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 10:36 am - OH
I was on a very high dose of Effexor (450 mg) when I gained most of my weight.  However, I am on Effexor now (a lower dose, 300 mg curently) and I am three years post op and a little under my goal weight.  It didn't keep me from losing weight and hasn't caused regain so far.  I don't think it was the only factor in my big weight gain.

With most antidepressants, they can actually affect different people differently.  So it might contribute to weight gain in some people and weight loss in others.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 6/7/12 11:07 am - Mira Loma, CA
Don't know about wt gain, but I had major elevated bp issues on Effexor. I was in the hospital and my old anti depressant was no longer being dispensed by my pharmacy. Doc put me on Effexor and my bp went way up. Had to take a pill to bring bp down for evening rounds every night for about a week. Finally, I made an effort to consult the doc I had and asked if Effexor could cause bp issues. I was told that about 5% of patients have bp issues.  My meds were changed to Welbutrin and no more highly elevated bp. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 141 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?