1 week to RNY...Diabetes?

Jennifer D.
on 6/7/12 11:21 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12
Hi!

I am one week away from RNY after 2 slipped lap-bands.  I have been reading lots of information, posts, and studies in hopes of knowing everything ;)

I'm not really scared or nervous as I feel like I have had surgery before and I am ready to follow the instructions of my nut.

I am having the surgery as the way to manage the comorbidities I currently have (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes).  My mother passed away when she was too young and I really want to feel like that won't be me as well.

I will be pleased woth any well wishes, advice, support, and suggestions anyone would like to offer, but really I would like to hear about:

1) Stories of RNY after failed bands

2) Stories of type 2 changes immediately after surgery, as well as after weight loss.

I know both of these things will have positive stories, and I could be one soon, I guess I'm looking for reassurance :)

Thanks everyone!

Band #1... 2006 Band #2 (revision) 2008 RNY 6/15/12 (revision).    Third time is the charm!  7/30/13 BL/TT/Thigh Lipo.  THE END!!!

Carol M.
on 6/7/12 11:31 am - TX
 I had all the same comorbidities (plus others) as you going into surgery last  year and on multiple meds for all of them.  I left the hospital less than 48 hours after surgery and have never taken another pill for any of those conditions. All my labs have been great and I consider my diabetes in remission, not cured. On one of my online support groups, there is a lady who was in remission for 9 years and this year started having to take meds again. she has a lot of stress in her life and that can affect cortisol levels which impact diabetes and also our pancreas is an organ that can just get tired as we get older and not work as well. My PCP once told me years ago that most people if they live long enough will become glucose-impaired if not full out diabetes.

I can't speak to the issue with the lapband.  But you should do well with RNY.  Just follow your program and enjoy the ride.

Carol , East Texas
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/7/12 12:58 pm
I had type II diabetes that I was not able to keep under control.  I took Janumet, Amaryl and Actos every day.  I was maxed out on meds and my PCP wanted me to start on insulin.  That is what made my decision to have surgery.  I had surgery 6/8/11.  I started my 6-week liquid diet on 5/26/11.  When I started my liquid diet I stopped taking 2 of my meds.  The day I had surgery I stopped taking my 3rd med.  In September my A1c test was normal.

I also stopped taking my high cholesterol in Sept. too because my cholesterol was lower than the low end of normal.

My blood pressure was alway okay but it has gone down.  Last time at my PCP it was 96/65.

Good luck!

Winnie

D-J
on 6/7/12 1:02 pm
high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes,i had it all and then some,,,after my surgery i never took another pill for those ,,it's so great,,i am a year out and still check my sugar and it is well within acceptable levels,,my pcp doctor told me i have the blood test results of a teenager,,he is sooo amazed.you have already had a lap band so you are familiar with all that weight loss surgery entails,,i think you will do just fine hun,,God Bless.:)
Amber H.
on 6/7/12 1:44 pm - UT
RNY on 06/01/12
 I am one week out of RnY...here's my story:

1. In 2007 I was diagnosed type II diabetic. I was on medication until 2011, when I was able to control it myself. 

2. My diabetes was within normal range except for fasting, which was *always* high. The morning of surgery, my fasting sugar was 125. After food it was usually about 105. 

Since surgery, my sugar is completely normal, down into the 70s after meals. I just feel so much better, like I am not constantly battling sugar. My blood pressure got high in the hospital, but it's almost normal now. 

I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

RNY: June 1, 2012  HW: 450 GW: 200

rbb825
on 6/7/12 5:15 pm - Suffern, NY
You need to watch out for a very common post op condition called reactive hypoglycemia.  All people, even those without diabetes are supposed to have glucose levels increase somewhat after eating and 70 is a very low level if it is 30 minutes or 1 hour after eating.  If it is 2 hours, then it is okay because it had time to go back down.  If you have a glucose kit, I recommend you taking your glucose levels periodically throughout the day to make sure it isnt getting too low and watch your sugar and carbs which are the cause of dropping levels in that condition.

THE_life10
on 6/7/12 1:50 pm
RNY on 03/26/12

I had my surgery 3/26

I was like you ...type 2 diabetic..hypertension

I was released from the hospital 2 1/2 days later...since i have been released, I have been OFF of all diabetic pills /insulin  I am now 2m post op and check my levels apox 3 times a day and before i work out ...all normal.

the 2 weeks during my pre op diet..my levels were bordering the high 200s to low 300s.

now a days my levels dont go up past 100.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

karlbf
on 6/7/12 1:59 pm - stoke on trent, United Kingdom
I had all the same things but within a week I no longer take meds for bp (ave 113 over 75), cholesterol (3.8 last reading) and stopped taking metformin before surgery

I am currently loosing aprox 1 kilo a week which I am fine with slow but sure

Good luck and if I can give a couple of pieces of advice they would be Do as adviced IE by your nut and ask questions it is the start of YOUR new life enjoy it

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 9 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views