What do you do when?

Amber Isbell
on 6/9/12 1:25 pm - Devine, TX
What do you do when?

1, Your pain meds, make it difficult to do anything but sleep or sit?
2. Every commercial on tv is for food or beverages we can't/shouldn't be eating or drinking?
3. You/re silently freaking out-that you elected to do this to yourself?
4, Your teenagers think you should be taking them and going like you were before surgery?
5, Your husband will say. "I told you this wasn't a good idea", when you start to cry or question your decision?
6. Secretly wonder if it's not too late too put your insides back together?
7. Wonder how on earth

HW:280, Lap Band 2005-225lbs-LW, Revision to RNY 06/05/12 -245lbs

jkjstars123
on 6/9/12 1:36 pm - Tama, IA
Been there done that. I promise you it will get better. Take one day at a time. Keep coming to this site for support.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

Amber Isbell
on 6/10/12 5:34 am - Devine, TX
It seems my mind know this, but my head it still freaking out.  Thank you for the kind words.

soozieq
on 6/9/12 1:41 pm
Aw Amber... I'm sorry things are going rough right now. You're fresh out of surgery and I hope that everyone in your house is just in a state of shock and will get over it because they need to get over it.

1.  Pain meds.  I hated mine and tried not to take them if I could avoid it.  I would try to stick with Tylenol during the day and take one of the narcs at bedtime so I could sleep without pain.  Right now you do need to sleep and sit because your body needs to heal.  Go easy on yourself.

2.  Commercials.  That was tough at first.  Seeing others eating around me was tough.  But it gets easier.  Just hold strong.  Change the channel, fast forward, or leave the room.

3.  I freaked out a little, but I knew if I didn't electively choose to have WLS, I would have never had any other chance to get this weight off me to be HEALTHY and live longer. (God willing)

4.  Tell your teenagers they're old enough to do things for themselves now.  DO NOT DO THINGS FOR THEM.  If they don't know how to do laundry, WRITE OUT INSTRUCTIONS.  Need food?  Send them to the store to pick up frozen meals.  Send them with a list if you have to.  Don't allow them to make you feel like you have to do anything.  I didn't cook for 3 weeks and my husband, bless his heart, was absolutely amazing through the whole thing. (I'm the designated cook in the family) 

5.  Your husband said it wasn't a good idea to have this surgery?  Well.. isn't he a peach.  He should be your biggest supporter through this.  Tell him you did it so you can have a long and happy and HEALTHY life together.

6.  It's too late to go back.  You're going to do great!!!
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
Amber Isbell
on 6/10/12 5:37 am - Devine, TX
Thank you so much for kind words and advice. I really need them.  I've started watching only shows that can be recorded so I can skip the commercials.  I still love the cooking channels though.

poet_kelly
on 6/9/12 1:43 pm - OH
1.  Sleep and sit a lot.  You just had major surgery.  You do need to walk some, but you can also rest a lot.

2.  Don'****ch TV if the commercials bother you.

3.  Find someone to talk to.  A support group, a therapist, a friend, everyone here on OH, etc.

4.  Simply tell them the taxi service will be unavailable for a week or two.  They'll live.

5.  Tell him that's not helpful and if he can't say something supportive, please don't say anything at all.

6.  Talk to someone. See number three.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amber Isbell
on 6/10/12 5:38 am - Devine, TX
Thank you for your thoughts.

littleskie
on 6/9/12 4:16 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
It was my personal goal to get up and walk during every commercial. Granted I was watching food network, but hey the walking still counts....lol.

You do need to rest, but you also need to move. You have to strike a happy balance. You also have to drink. Eating specific food when allowed. These things should consume your free time.

Keep busy on the boards here. Read everthing you can. It helped me tremendously in the beginning!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Amber Isbell
on 6/10/12 5:39 am - Devine, TX
I have been walking twice a day for 5-10 minutes each time.  I am just so tired all the time.  Thank you for your words.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 6/9/12 11:57 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
1.  It gets better.  I promise.  Sleep.  Sit.  Give yourself a break.

2.  It gets better.  I promise.  Mute the TV if the commercials bother you.  I knit while I watch TV so I'm not paying attention during the commercials anyway.  I like the idea of another poster to get up and walk during the commercials.  Another idea is to watch Netflix so you don't have commercials.  Netflix streaming is awesome!

3.  It gets better. I promise.  Once the weight really starts coming off and you start feeling better you'll remember why you did this.  

4.  OK, this one might not get better.  But your teenagers are fully capable of taking care of themselves.  If they can't drive themselves get your husband to take them to the grocery store. If they can't cook, they can buy frozen meals or whatever.  My 12yo cooks for herself frequently. My 19yo does most of the grocery shopping. 

5.  Don't cry or question your decision in front of your husband.  He's being a jerk, but don't give him ammunition.  Come here if you want to cry or question your decision. 

6.  Yes, it's too late.  But you made the right decision, and it will get better.  I promise.

7.  The weight is going to come off, and you are going to create healthy habits, and your life will be better.  I promise.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming!