Home from hospital

Amber Isbell
on 6/9/12 1:31 pm - Devine, TX
So I came home from the hospital on Thursday. Surgery for RNY-gastric bypass was on Tuesday, June 5th. During surgery the Dr. found two hernias whcih he repaired. So, instead of taking 2 hours the surgery actually took over 3 hours. When I saw the Dr. Wed. evening he said I a had a textbook surgery and he could't have been happier with the surgery and how it went. So, now its all up to me.

I was sent home on full sugar free liquids for two full weeks.

My problem is that I can come no where close to getting in the 60-70grams of protein in each day.
In fact I haven't gotten in any protein or any of the vitamins I am supposed to be taking.

I eat 1/2 a container of single serve sugarfree jello for breakfast
I eat the other 1/2 for lunch
Then start over for dinner and breakfast the next a.m

I try to sip water ALL day long, although I know it isn't enough. It's taken me a full 24 hours to finish 1 quart -33.8oz of water.
I eat a sugrfree popsicle in between meals, to help stay hydrated.

I have been up and walking. This morning I walked outside for 10min., but by this afternoon it was soooo hot I barely made it to the neighbors driveway and back.
I have been walking around the house and siting up!

Dr. says I should be up to 20min sustained exercise when I see him for my two week post-op.
Which is on June 21st.

I have been up and showering since tuesday night.

I feel like I am unable to follow Dr.s' orders regarding liquid/protein intake and exercise.

HW:280, Lap Band 2005-225lbs-LW, Revision to RNY 06/05/12 -245lbs

poet_kelly
on 6/9/12 1:47 pm - OH
You had major surgery just four days ago.

Liquids are most important.  Drink, drink, drink all day long.

What are you using for protein?  Protein shakes?  It may take a little time to work up to 60 grams, but you might want to have a protein shake for at last one of your meals instead of jello.

The ASMBS recommends starting your multivitamins and iron right away.  They say you can wait on your calcium and B12 if you want to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

A. C
on 6/9/12 1:48 pm
with respect to liquids, sip sip sip all day long if you have to.. for me it was "easy" i guess because i had a lot of thirst for some reason.
with respect to the protein, can you have some protein shake for your meals rather than jello? i was able to count the protein shake toward my liquids for the day. also, i was told not to worry AS MUCH about the protein right out of the gate as i was about getting my liquids in.
i don't know about the exercise, my doc didn't have any requirements for that with me
good luck!

HW: 376   SW: 354  

MissLisaD
on 6/9/12 1:54 pm - CA
RNY on 05/31/12
 The first two days I was home I felt the same way. I am not getting in all my liquids or protein still but I'm getting better. It gets better. I'm 9 days post op and I still feel run down but I can eat/drink stuff a whole lot easier now. I hope you feel better soon!!!!

HW: (265 in 2007) Consult weight: 247 SW: 221 CW:151.8 GW:140     

Adrianne_Dawn
on 6/9/12 2:56 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 What kind of protein drinks are you drinking?  I never had any issues with drinking protein drinks but I try not to drink anything with less then 30 grams of protein. My faves are Premium protein from costco (ready made about 24.99) or Isopure vanilla powder with some sugar free raspberry syrup.  

But, it does get better and the first you few days I was a bit out of it and probably didn't get in all my protein I needed.  The only issue I have now is getting in all my water - but otherwise it's all good. Don't worry you will get there.  

Good luck!!

Chihuahuan
on 6/10/12 3:53 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
I seem to be an anomaly but I really like the flavor of protein shakes.  I used the Muscle Milk light pre-mixed shakes from Costco and had no problem getting them down.  I actually had to back off from it and only drink 1/2 at a time since they went down so easy right off the bat.   I had my protein up to 80-90 grams/day immediately.  I was really pushing to get that though since I had a bleed after surgery and wanted to make sure I had some blood production going on as well as healed from the surgery.   If you can tolerate them and enjoy them, I would use a protein shake for the time being.  I would stick to the 'light' ones as the regular seem to have a LOT of carbs for the same or less protein.  I hope you find something that works for you!!

Most Active
Recent Topics