Resolved to accept that time is required....

lesserman
on 6/11/12 11:53 am - Chicago, IL
...to experience and see all the changes that I want to see...

Further, that all of those desired changes may not happen...many will...maybe even most...but perhaps not to the degree that I would like or that I think I should....and it ought not to matter...

My indulgence in self-pity yesterday (that so many of you not only tolerated but also lifted me out of) has made it clear to me that my lack of acceptance of progress made thus far is no different than the mindset of the individual who falls short of his/her goal weight and thus considers the surgery and/or him/herself a failure.

At the risk of stating the obvious, WLS is the tool to lose excess weight more quickly than any of us could ever have done left to our own devices, but it still takes time...and patience...something I demonstrated in yesterday's post that I have but chose to not exercise it....

How sad to focus on that which was not....rather than on that which was....

So...I have decided to allow myself to take some joy in yesterday's accomplishments...this is a conscious stepping outside my comfort zone...I've also decided to be much more patient with myself...to cut myself a break more every now than then...

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

poet_kelly
on 6/11/12 11:58 am - OH
I think that's a good decision.

You know, just like you realized that the way you were relating to food wasn't working and decided you had to do something radical about it, like having WLS, it might be that you have a habit of being hard on yourself and being really critical of yourself, and it might be that that isn't working so well for you, either.  You've already stepped out of your comfort zone by having surgery, by completing a 5K, by making different food choices, etc.  So I think stepping out of that comfort zone by being more patient with yourself is a good idea.

This is a journey, not a destination.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  Celebrate all the accomplishments along the way.  Enjoy the trip.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

avivaps
on 6/11/12 12:12 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 Beautifully said Kelly. I think many of us could stand to listen to this advice. 

Thanks,

Andrea. 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Lisa T.
on 6/11/12 12:25 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12
Keep on keepin' on and when that doesn't work try another avenue to your dream. It might make your journey a little longer, but in the end it will be worth it!

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12