what is a stricture?

AmberF
on 6/30/12 7:02 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
I got the lapband done with hardly any knowledge (  I know thats my bad, I was only 20 and was so excited at the prospect of losing weight that  I just did it) My doctor dropped off the face of the planted as soon as I got it and I was in it all by myself. Well I talked to my insurance company yesterday and they will cover my revision. I am going to the doctor next week to get a referal to a new surgeon. This time I want to make sure Im 100% ready and informed. Hopefully yall will be able to be patient with me and answer lots of questions! soooo that being said what is a stricture?
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/30/12 7:19 am - Windsor, Canada
 Please get yourself a copy of wls for dummies. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

AmberF
on 6/30/12 7:36 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
ummmm ok........
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/30/12 9:43 am - Windsor, Canada
 You mentioned going into Lapband without the knowledge.   You NEED to know a lot about RNY.   There is a huge Learning curve and even going to a seminar or reading one book isn't going To educate you enough.  

Ive noticed your last two questions and they are very basic information so I noticed that you are literally at the first step.   The book I mentioned is simple, straightforward and the best way to educate yourself and any loved one or support person on surgery.  I run a support group and tell people it is really a must buy!  It's almost like a bariatric bible.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

poet_kelly
on 6/30/12 7:53 am - OH
It's when the connection between the pouch and small intestine, which is called the stoma, gets too small and food and liquids can't go through.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AmberF
on 6/30/12 8:48 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Thanks Mrs. Kelly! :)
Kay L.
on 6/30/12 9:15 am - N., AL
Diminishing Dawn isn't being mean although it might have sounded like it. There really is a book called "WLS for Dummies" and it's really good.  That being said, I don't think anybody minds you asking questions here. It is, after all, a WLS support board.  :-)

Bless your heart, at age 20 with a lapband and absentee doctor.  I hate you went through that, but so glad you're approved for a revision.  That is awesome.

A stricture is caused by the development of scar tissue at the bottom of the pouch where it empties.  It closed the opening off and doesn't allow anything to pass through.  It's easily remedies by an endoscopy where they go down your throat with a camera and balloon and stretch it back open.  Sometimes it has to be done more than once.  I had it done 3 times.  You feel instantly better afterwards.  It's done while you are sedated.  It's not rare, but it doesn't happen to that many people either.  There's no way to prevent it and no way to know if you're someone who might get one.

Hope that helps!! 
Vicki D.
on 6/30/12 10:40 am - TX
RNY on 06/12/12
 I'm a newbie and so am limited on my knowledge but will be glad to answere any questions you might have. Kelly (poet_kelly) is very knowledgable and Cleopatra_Nik is the go to on food recipies. I have spent many hours just reading the different posts and responses and when totally stumped, use the site search engine on the top right -- it will give you all posts on OH that match your question. You are doing the right thing by getting as informed as possible -- Good Luck!

AmberF
on 6/30/12 12:35 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Thanks everyone for you post. I will definately look into that book Dawn. I just feel like I rushed into the lapband. All I looked at was the stories of people who had sucess with it. This time I want the good the band and the ugly. I just want to be informed. With the lapband I have had for 3 years I have maybe seen my doctor 5 times. Half the time I would have an appointment and wait 3 plus hours and then end up having to leave with out being seen. The other half the time I would make an appointment and get a call saying it had to be rescheduled. I left the hospital with not even a piece of paper telling me what to eat. I have had no restriction this whole time and got so discouraged and went back to my old eating habits. I have an appointment next week with a new surgeon and approval for a revision. Im sure he will be able to give me lots of answers and advice but I love coming on here and asking people who have actually had the surgery questions. I want to be over prepared this time! Thanks again everybody
brenlee1965
on 7/1/12 4:59 am - New Berlin, NY
Good luck and welcome to the OH family! These people are awesome on here. I love this family!!! I have gained TONS of information on this site.
 Bren                
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 204 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 20 views