didnt lose with lapband. will i lose with rny?

AmberF
on 7/3/12 10:49 am, edited 7/3/12 11:25 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
So I have been doing research for a new surgeon to do my revision and I found one that I really liked (from the reviews of him on this site) Well I called his office and they do accept my insurance. Friday I have my PCP appointment to get my referal to see him. So hopefully will have an appointment with him soon. Now Im starting to get nervous. Im just wondering if anyone who has had revision from lapband to bypass got nervous not for the surgery but that even with the bypass you wouldnt lose the weight. I had lots of problems with the band and only lost about 30 pounds in three years. I never got any restriction from the band and not losing the weight made me so embarrassed and kind of made me stop hanging out with my friends. So I eventually gained the 30 pounds back, I think from depression due to being so let down by the band. I struggle with the "was it something I did that made the band not work for me or did the band simply not work for me?" So I just get nervous that because I failed with the band that I will fail with the bypass....just wondering if any other revisions felt the same way.
poet_kelly
on 7/3/12 11:38 am - OH
I dont' think you failed the band, I think the band failed you.  As it fails many people.  It has a very high failure rate.

You didn't get restriction.  I don't think  you did anything wrong to prevent restriction.  That's an issue that happens sometimes with the band.  Since you didn't get restriction, of course you didn't lose much weight.  Basically, it was like you didn't have surgery.  The band didn't help you, you were on your own.

With RNY, you will lose weight.  It would be impossible not to.  Some people don't lose as much as they'd like and some gain some weight back, but between the restriction (and you will have restriction) and the malabsorption, you will lose weight.

I can certainly understand why you would worry that, since one WLS didn't work, another might not work either.  But RNY is very, very different than the band.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AmberF
on 7/3/12 11:43 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
I just wanted to personlly say thanks to you because you have been a big help this last few weeks. Everytime I post with a question (and I have had lots, mainley because I didnt do alot of research with the band) and you have answered every one of them. I am now back at the begining with a new WLS and I am excited and nervous. What you said about it basically being like I didnt have a surgery I have been saying all along! but its still been hard for me when so many of my friends and family knew I had it done and were expecting weight loss just like I was. Thanks for all your help and this response really made me feel alot better!
poet_kelly
on 7/3/12 11:48 am - OH
I feel really bad for all the people I see having trouble with the band and having to revise to RNY.  I can only imagine how it would feel to have WLS and not lose much weight.  I know I would feel like I failed, even though the truth is, if you didn't get restriction, that's not your fault and without the restriction, of course you wouldn't lose weight.  And I'm sure it must be scary to decide to have another surgery and hope it works out better than the band.

I don't understand why so many surgeons are still doing the band, it has such a high failure rate and high complication rate. 

I'm glad you're doing your research this time, though.  The RNY really is a tool, and it works if you use it properly.  But like any other tool, if you don't understand how to use it, it probably won't work so well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jenkil
on 7/3/12 12:30 pm - washington, IL
I had the lapband placed in 2005, lost some at first then I learned I could cheat around most things & I was in constant pain. I had the band removed in 2010. I waited, researched and made my final decision to have the bypass after getting back up to 323 and having to get on all fours to get off the beach in Febuary 2011. I went and seen my surgeon when we got home I was approved first round and had surgery May 17, 2011. One year out I weighed in at 168.6...total success, no pain, absolutely no problems!! I have my own self disipline I need to work on with vitamins & fluids but aside from that I am 100% happy!!!  Good luck & have faith!!

Gastric Bypass 5-17-2011 starting weight 323Lbs  one year out 5-17-2011 168.6Lbs, below goal!! God has given me a wonderful journey & so has my Surgeon!! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/12 1:37 pm - Bay City, MI
Thanks for sharing that Jenkil! I needed to hear that as well.

AmberF, I'm 2 months out. Struggling with faith in this myself. Your feelings are definitely valid. I feel/felt the exact same way as you! Feel free to read my blog or message me questions.
Bren0430
on 7/3/12 2:19 pm - Canyon, TX
RNY on 05/11/12
I had the band in 2008, it worked for a while then I learned to eat the easy food. I revised to RnY
5-11-2012.  Best thing I ever did. I'm down 34#. I can actually eat proteins, which I couldn't with the band. 
TamaraL
on 7/3/12 10:05 pm
Amber

I had the lap band January 2009 and revised October 2010.  I think it is normal to worry that you will not lose the weight with RNY

RNY is based on the small pouch and malabsorption of food for the first 1 to 1 1/2 years. 

My biggest advise i tell people is to evaluate why you didn't lose the weight with the lap band.  mine was 90% band.  10% was me grazing because I had so many problems with the band. 

Use the first 6 months to lose as much weight as you can.  After the first 6 months you can still lose it is just a little slower.

Don't get depressed if you don't lose as fast as everyone else with the RNY.  i lost really good the first 2 - 3 months and then i lost steadily 1-2 pounds a week.

Tamara

mjst220
on 7/3/12 10:50 pm
I agree with what TamaraL said. 90% band 10% me. I had my band for 3 yrs. Lost 30 pounds, gained 40 back,,blah blah. I ate around the band because I was always hurting or puking. Long story short I revised Nov 2011 to RNY. Surgery wt 247 today 170. I consider this a huge success. It is a tool and you have to still say NO to triggers but it has been the best decision of my life! Of course I love wearing smaller clothes but i FEEL fantastic! Best of luck to you!!
balw83
on 7/4/12 1:48 am - TN
I had the band for 5 years ,lost 45 first year and that was all. I ate around the band meat would make me sick, puked all the time. At night I would choke in my sleep. Then my band slipped causing more problems , went for a second opponion he told me my band was slipped bad and let the fluid out still having problems, put in for a revision was denied 2 times got all my information together and my dr done a peer to peer and got it approved. Had RNY may 30, and I have lost 14 pounds. I am a slow looser, I walk or ride my bike everyday. and eat 400  to 600 hundred calorues a day. I get depressed about being a slow looser but I am losing so this is a good thing.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 167 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics