Very, very, troubled....

lesserman
on 7/4/12 5:52 pm - Chicago, IL
On Saturday, I was able to consume most of a bratwurst with no adverse consequences...I also was able to consume 3-4 oz. of beer (granted, I nursed it over approx. 1 and 1/2 hours) with no effect...no buzz, no nothin.'

At a July 4th gathering, I had approx 3 bites of half a burger (w/ bun and ketchup) and it was good...while I felt that I could have finished it, I opted to leave it as I felt sufficiently full...I also managed to drink a Mike's Hard Lemonade (over 30 minutes to 1 hour) again with absolutely no effect - no buzz...I also found myself absent-mindedly munching on some potato chips and never once felt like I do when I eat a little too much cheese...

The good news is that I have my 3-month follow up with my surgeon and my NUT next week, but my morning glucose readings have been on the increase (140+) and I find that I am craving milk (something that was present prior to my becoming serious about trying to get my type II under control several years ago).

Seeking some direct and honest feedback from veterans.

Thanks so much in advance.

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

poet_kelly
on 7/4/12 6:54 pm - OH
I'm not sure I understand your concern.  Is it that you are physically able to consume three or four ounces of beer, that consuming three or four ounces of beer over 90 minutes did not make you feel a buzz, or that you choose to drink beer when you are only about three months post op?  Is it that you are physically able to eat most of a bratwurst, that you didn't have adverse consequences from eating the bratwurst, or that you choose to eat that amount of food?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lesserman
on 7/4/12 8:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Yes, I guess that I could have been clearer...

That I was able to consume that amount of food, chiefly.

If these were unwise choices to make at this juncture, so be it...I own them, now, and whatever the consequences, I accept them...

Secondly, it was my expectation that the effects of alcohol consumption in RNY patients are much more pronounced...but it also occurs to me that perhaps the relationship between body mass and alcohol metabolism remains constant regardless of the configuration of one's digestive tract...I'm stil 240+ lbs. and so may still be able to (though probably should not) consume relatively small amounts of alcohol with little or no effect as I did while much heavier...

Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

M M
on 7/4/12 10:01 pm
 Just because you can... you know how it goes.

Take this time -- early post op -- to LEARN how to completely alter your eating/drinking/lifestyle.  For many of us, eating/drinking becomes nearly normal again after so many years, and it's much harder to deal with when we have capacity back.  

You try to tell me to eat 1/2 of an anything at this point.  Just because I can, I will, and do.  And most of us do.

Same goes for alcohol.  Many WLS'ers find that they must not even go there, because they can, and will.
Lady Lithia
on 7/5/12 12:42 am
I did not get the sensation of restriction until 6 months postop

it was not until I was 9 months postop that it was consistent.

My surgeon had us on 2 oz meals for the first two months, gradually rising to 4 oz by 6 months, and up to 8 oz by 18 months and for life thereafter.

I followed his plan, but I had to step back my food consumption from month 6 through 9, ad was eating LESS once the restriction kicked in.

Some days I still ccan't eat all that much. Yesterday we ordered pizza, and I ate about 2 inches up from the point. Some days I can eat one piece of pizza (minus the crust) and sometimes toppings off another.

So I would expect that you're pushing your limits, but your nerves aren't healed enough to get the message to your brain.

Alcohol affects everyone differently. the amount of beer you had over the time you had it would probably not have affected me. 2 oz of wine and I'm extremely tipsy, 4 oz and I'm drop-dead drunk (for 10 minutes)

But that's wine, and I don't normally sip. If I had a few drops every few minutes it wouldn't affect me like it does. I can do 2 oz without issue, but by the time it's 4 oz, I'll want to drink the whole bottle. (i lose my inhibitions and ability to practice moderation). ... anything more than wine and I dump (and the first and last time I had a beer was when I was 13. Ewww).

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 7/5/12 2:52 am - OH
OK.  I'm going to address your concerns.

How long did it take you to get that bratwurst in?  If you take enough time, it becomes easier to get large amounts in.  But beyond that, there are days I can eat more than others.  Sometimes it really does become a question of how much WILL I eat or how much SHOULD I eat rather than how much CAN I eat.

As far as the alcohol goes, three ounces of beer over 90 minutes, that means you had about one ounce of beer in 30  minutes.... well, I think that was just not enough to have much of an effect on anyone.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jewel-twin
on 7/4/12 8:50 pm - Canada
I think I have seen other people mention sausages go down ok...I am going to go out on a limb and say that perhaps because its a really moist meat.??? (this is a guess)...did you drink With you meal? perhaps you pushed it out with liquid?

lesserman
on 7/4/12 9:12 pm - Chicago, IL
Did NOT drink with eating...I did that once by accident and have never done it since...
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Lady Lithia
on 7/5/12 2:46 am
me too... I did that on my first 4th of July postop.... at a family gathering, my husband's cousin was takling to me, and I felt bad because I got up without a word and rushed to the restroom to throw upl.

Drinking and eating don't mix for me AT ALL

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/12 9:59 pm - waukesha, WI
At three months, I was able to eat any kind of meat for the most part.........except process lunch meat is still uncomfortable.  Things like cracker, ect. goes down nicely tooooo including a few chips here and there.  Actually at 9 months out, I pretty much can eat anything.......I just get full much sooner than before.  I can easily put a 4 to 5 oz steak away on some days.  I do have to measure my food so I don't over eat.  I have never dumped even with sugar. 

I am a diabetic as well, it took me 7 months to have normal blood sugar levels and I must be careful with the carbs.  I am now off of insulin and I was on 800 units of insulin a day prior to surgery.  I also must exercise every day to keep my blood sugar down.  I am thinking that I will need to go back on insulin one day.  I am also working hard with a functional nutritionist to add good things into my diet to help control my Blood Sugars.