Pre-Op Labs

aquapolyester
on 7/4/12 8:47 am
RNY on 07/17/12
I am will be attending an all day testing/teaching day tomorrow.  Along with a chest x-ray, upper GI, EKG.... I am also having blood drawn for labwork.  

Just curious... does anyone know what kind of labs are typically drawn?  I know each surgeon is different, but there must be some labs that are typically drawn.  

HW = 400  SW = 352  CW = 330

poet_kelly
on 7/4/12 9:21 am - OH
Personally, I suggest requesting a full set of labs so you can make sure you aren't starting off with any deficiencies.  But most surgeons don't order a full set pre op, I don't think.

I think most order a CMP, or comprehensive metabolic panel, and a CBC, or complete blood count.  they'll probably also order iron and maybe ferritin.  maybe vitamin D.

I always suggest getting a copy of the lab report so you can see the results for yourself and compare them to future results.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

aquapolyester
on 7/4/12 9:25 am
RNY on 07/17/12
 Thanks!  
HW = 400  SW = 352  CW = 330

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/12 9:29 am - NY
RNY on 07/17/12

Hi there,

Had my blood work done at the hospital last week.  Sorry I didnt ask what labs they did.  I know that they sent it to my primary doctor so he could do the clearance for surgery.  Got to go back to get my blood type with antibodies.  Seems that antibodies change so the hospital requires it within 9 or 10 days before surgery.  I don't know if all hospitals are the same.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 255 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 274 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 440 views