Drinking alcohol with RNY

AmberF
on 7/6/12 2:39 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
I havent had my surgery yet ( I do have the lapband but am revising to RNY) well tonight I went out with all my friends in Atlanta to dinner and they were all going to go bar hopping afterwards. I couldnt go because I have tons of homework to do but usually I would have gone and partied with them. I dont drink hardly ever but if I go to a party or something I will take a few shots and get a little tipsy lol. So I was just wondering after RNY will I still be able to drink?......like take a shot..... 
AmberF
on 7/6/12 2:44 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Also Just let me say one more thing I know alcohol has tons of sugars. Im not saying this is going to be a once a week or even once a month thing, but I am only 24 and my friends and I do go out and go to parties ocassionally and I was just wondering
poet_kelly
on 7/6/12 2:50 pm - OH
Sure, you'll be able to.

Most surgeons recommend not drinking alcohol for six months to a year after surgery, and then only drinking in moderation.  Alcohol will probably affect you much differently post op, and you may get very drunk on small amounts.  Alcohol has lots of calories and drinking much of it can really interfere with weight loss or lead to weight gain.  Depending on what you drink, if it's something with a lot of sugar in it, you might dump on it.

Many post ops choose to avoid alcohol or to drink it very seldom, but you can drink if you want to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

moviechick00
on 7/6/12 4:21 pm
Revision on 05/17/12
 I am 7 weeks post op revision from band to RNY...I had some wine last Saturday.  I was not able to drink much but it was good.  I did not dump or get sick...I think it helped that they don't add sugar to the grapes.   Some wine makers add sugar but this one did not.

hw 255 Realize band 2/10 lw 206 (slipped/moved caused lots of pain)
weight pre-op 225 revision RNY 5/17/12
SweetLilyAnn
on 7/6/12 5:40 pm - TX
Yes, you can have alcohol while partying. Just have a plan on how to get home if you are out drinking....b/c you will become more inebreiated quicker. In my support group, the head of the program tells the group two "cautionary tales" - 1. b/c hormones are being released at a rapid pace that we are more fertile and there are high incidents of pregnancy for RYN patients and 2. b/c we absorb alcohol quicker the incidents of DWI's are higher. But upon reflection, I guess that cautionary tale #1 could lead to cautionary tale #2 so be careful.... (tee hee hee). But seriously, alcohol in moderation is fine. I had an incident where my friends were drinking and I was the DD and when we got to my house, I drank a few glasses of wine kinda quickly, and ended up having to go to bed pretty soon thereafter. I got hammered quickly Anyway, be careful and have fun with your girlfriends.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

tinamarie_125
on 7/6/12 10:53 pm
 Yep. I usually get a Malibu and diet coke. By my second one I am sloshed. Lol. So just be cautious. It hits you fast. 
Dave Chambers
on 7/6/12 11:14 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Be cautious when you first try alcohol. You don't know how it will affect your post op. And please wait until you're a year or so out.  DUI are very common, as most will cycle several times between having a drink (or part of it), getting drunk, sobering up, and doing it again. You may personally think you're OK to drive, etc., but any stop by police and a breathalyzer will prove you are likely warrant a DUI ticket, and likely the fun trip to the drunk tank for the night. Then there is the $$$ it will cost you.  I've listened to many at post op meetings, who ended up with an alcohol ISSUE.  AA meetings, prefessinal counseling, etc. are needed by some to break this issue. Cross addiction to some other "vice" after losing wt seems to be a mental issue that many cycle through. From listening to these experiences, I've made the decision NOT to consume alcohol. Haven't even had 1 glass of wine post op, and I used to imbibe a couple of times a month for over 30 years.  Don't miss it though.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

M M
on 7/6/12 11:32 pm
No.

No.

No.

Not for a full-year after surgery, and even then, it's likely not worth the drama it can cause.

itsjustmeyousee
on 7/7/12 12:46 am
 Be careful! I can't drink anything now without making an ass of myself. It's very embarrassing, and I don't limit myself well.....it's just better for everyone if I don't do it.....
LisaAnne
10/18/10

AmberF
on 7/7/12 1:21 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Thanks everyone for your post! No worries when it comes to a DUI I have done alot of partying and never once drove myself or got in the car with someone that did. My husband is an Atlanta police officer and would kill me lol. I will definately follow any rules my surgeon gives me such as waiting a year to drink alcohol. Thanks!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 199 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 14 views
Recent Topics