Calories vs Carbs vs Protein vs Fat?

sdb1147
on 7/9/12 1:13 pm - Renton, WA
Is there reference material somewhere out there that explains how may calories-carbs-protein-fat someone should taking? It's all so confusing.

I'll be meeting the Dietician/Nutritionist on Aug. 1st. (2012). Perhaps she'll have that info. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/12 1:17 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
From what I can tell, every doctor's office has their own plan to follow. Most go for really high protein, low carb, fats and calories depending on your bmi. Make sure to write down any questions when you see your nutritionist & good luck!
sdb1147
on 7/9/12 1:29 pm - Renton, WA
On July 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM Pacific Time, mecoppertop wrote:
From what I can tell, every doctor's office has their own plan to follow. Most go for really high protein, low carb, fats and calories depending on your bmi. Make sure to write down any questions when you see your nutritionist & good luck!
Thank you. Dr. McMahon will be performing my RNY on 08/14/12. Seems to be a good doctor. I'll let you know what I think after the surgery. LOL.

Waysta
on 7/9/12 10:36 pm - TX
OT....I live in the Texas panhandle and I have a penpal since the mid 1960's that lives in Renton..... I have never met her and we wrote to each other regularly back in the day....now just Christmas letters. Like I said...OT !
Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
sdb1147
on 7/9/12 10:51 pm - Renton, WA
 I've live in Renton for 10+ years now, having lived in several towns & cities in WA. I'm a transplant from Hawaii, moving here for a job (Police Dept.). Retired from Boeing a couple of years ago as a Security Manager.

Prior to retiring I looked into WLS only to be told by Group Health that they just quit covering it. So, I had to wait until I retired to get support from Medicare & Aetna (supplemental insurance).

Once had a job offer to work in El Paso, TX. Got talked out of it by a former Police Officer who worked there. We became buddies & he lives in WA too.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/9/12 1:18 pm - OH
No, because it varies from surgeon/nutritionist to another.    Many surgeons don't give patients anything but a daily protein tareget while some have very specific targets for calories and carbs and protein.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbednarski
on 7/9/12 3:09 pm
RNY on 04/23/10 with
On July 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
No, because it varies from surgeon/nutritionist to another.    Many surgeons don't give patients anything but a daily protein tareget while some have very specific targets for calories and carbs and protein.

Lora
Doesn't this really mean that the post-op nutritional part of RnY follow-up is really voodoo science?  I mean, it is not like one surgeon gets all the patients of one particular kind.  But one surgeon says to do X and another says to do Y. 

If there was REAL science behind it then there would essentially be one post-op nutritional protocol, like there is with calcium and vitamins (not that all surgeons follow the vitamin/calcium protocol, as we hear here all the time),  When people have questions about what calcium or vitamins to take they are routinely directed to the ASMBS recommended protocol. 

But there does not seem to be any analogous document for nutrition.  If the nutrition rcommendations were based on real science wouldn't the ASMBS have a recognized nutrition protocol?

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/9/12 4:00 pm - OH
 I think what it boils down to is that all they know is that a high protein, limited carb and limited fat diet is best for losing and maintaining.  That works best for EVERYONE, though, not just RNYers, so other than us needing to increase our protein a bit to account for some malabsorption, we don't really need any "special" diet... So I don't understand why people get so hung up on wanting one.

Once you get beyond the high protein, limited carb and fat general approach, the "details" seem to matter little.  Some things, though, as with non-ops, vary from person to person.  Some people swear that they must keep to 50g of carbs (or whatever) per day or they start gaining.  I, however, routinely get 100g of carbs (since much of my protein comes from dairy products) and don't find that it causes weight gain as long as my overall intake stays in line.  80g of protein per day is fine for me (based on my lab work) but other people who exercise more or whose bodies absorb protein less than mine need 100g or more to keep their labs up.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sdb1147
on 7/9/12 10:46 pm - Renton, WA
On July 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM Pacific Time, rbednarski wrote:

Lora
Doesn't this really mean that the post-op nutritional part of RnY follow-up is really voodoo science?  I mean, it is not like one surgeon gets all the patients of one particular kind.  But one surgeon says to do X and another says to do Y. 

If there was REAL science behind it then there would essentially be one post-op nutritional protocol, like there is with calcium and vitamins (not that all surgeons follow the vitamin/calcium protocol, as we hear here all the time),  When people have questions about what calcium or vitamins to take they are routinely directed to the ASMBS recommended protocol. 

But there does not seem to be any analogous document for nutrition.  If the nutrition rcommendations were based on real science wouldn't the ASMBS have a recognized nutrition protocol?
 Thank you for that rbednarski. That's where I was getting at with the initial question: calories vs carbs vs protein vs fat.

My Diabetic nurse (Nutritionist) working with my PCP says one thing and the weight loss team where I'll be having my surgery says something else. What to believe. It's all so confusing. There is no definitive word as to what & how much.

tulips52
on 7/9/12 10:46 pm
On July 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM Pacific Time, rbednarski wrote:

Lora

I so agree, rbednarski!!!! I think the obvious gets overstated(regarding the advice to follow what their clinic advises...we all need to decide what makes sense to us irregardless of what our clinics dictate). I think most ppl when they ask questions like this are really asking for samples of different plans. ( I see nothing wrong with that!) 

Most Active
Recent Topics