RNY & Ghrelin

sdb1147
on 7/11/12 1:46 am - Renton, WA
Anyone have any input with regards to appitite or hunger post-op (RNY). Is one procedure better than another with respect to eliminating the hormone that controls hunger? Just wondering. Thanks for any input. 

Tanya W.
on 7/11/12 1:51 am - Winnipeg, Canada
The RNY doesn't do anything chemically to curb the appetite. I think that is the main advantage of the sleeve. With the RNY, the only thing that curbs your appetite is the size of your pouch.

Tanya

sdb1147
on 7/11/12 1:54 am - Renton, WA
Thanks Tanya. I've heard/read that with the sleeve, much of the ghrelin is stopped due to a large portion of the stomach actually being removed. Just wondering about RNY procedure as the stomach is by-passed.

swoozieq67
on 7/11/12 1:55 am - MI
RNY on 04/25/12
When I had my consultation and on the day after my surgery my surgeon informed me that my RNY will be a success because he removed the part of my stomache where the hormone ghrelin is produced.

I am never hungry and my husband has to prctically make me eat!

When I do eat, it is only about 2-3 oz at a time.

I hope this helps!

sdb1147
on 7/11/12 1:59 am - Renton, WA
Thank you swoozieq67 for that. I'll make sure to ask Dr. McMahon about it when I visit him & the team on Aug. 1st. for my surgery orders. So far all things are "GO" for sugery on Aug. 14. 

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/11/12 2:12 am
That may or may not change. I was not hungry for the first few months. My hunger is now back.
May ye never be hungry!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/12 5:38 am - OH
Your surgeon actually removed the remnant stomach?  That is not customary.  DId he say why?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

plum21
on 7/11/12 2:33 am - Miami, FL
 My understanding is that grehlin production is halted immediately after RNY, and eventually comes back. Iin my experience no being hungry was a huge relief. What freedom to not think about food and what the next meal was going to be. If one is a good patient, one will use the time with absence of hunger to retrain one's mind and body to eat healthy meals, so when the grehlin comes back, it's not the evil demon it once was.

Hope this helps.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/11/12 2:46 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
There is some conflicting info about RNY and ghrelin. One study showed little reduction in fasting ghrelin after RNY but significant reduction after sleeve gastrectomy. However, all the other sources I found, and my own surgeon, say RNY greatly reduces or eliminates ghrelin.

My own experience was total absence of hunger for two months. Now I feel some hunger, but not much and not often.

My mind, however, seems to have found a ghrelin substitute!

sdb1147
on 7/11/12 3:05 am - Renton, WA
Thanks Dagne. There are so many conflicting ideas & studies out there. In about two weeks (Aug. 1st., 2012) I have my meeting with Dr. McMahon and his weight loss team at Swedish Hospital in Seattle, WA.

I've put myself on a restricted diet (1600-calories or less) and some days are most difficult with 'hunger'. Can't imagine what it's going to be like with a total liquid diet prior to surgery. 

Most Active
Recent Topics