New here...I'm in pre-op hell!

Angelena1978
on 7/11/12 12:57 pm - TN
RNY on 07/24/12
 Hi everyone,  I have been lurking for a while but I wanted to officially join and introduce myself. My name is Angela and I am scheduled for RNY on July 24th.  I started this process in November, so it seems unreal that it is almost here!  I am right at almost 300 pounds, so I have quite the road ahead of me. I just started my pre-op diet yesterday...my doctor requires you to spend 2 weeks eating 6 supplements a day.  Some of them havent been bad, but others were majorly gross. I am just so hungry and cranky!  All I want is a steak and shake fresco burger :(   I am worried that this means I won't be able to do life after surgery?  Please tell me it gets better?  

Angela
avivaps
on 7/11/12 1:37 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 One of the hardest things is the pre-op diet. You still have all the old urges and plumbing!  Stick with it. Take one day at a time and know this is the beginning of a new life. This is just a stage you have to get thru so keep your eyes on the prize as they say.  The next few weeks and months will present all kinds of new challenges and surprises but if you are ready for all that, can keep a positive attitude you are already half way there.

Hang in there, the best is yet to come :)

Andrea. 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

hisndngrl
on 7/11/12 2:17 pm - OK
RNY on 08/15/12
Hi! I am also in the same boat,I am waiting to do my psych eval and then get my date,it's been approved thru insurance and just playing the waiting game. I'm scared about the pre op diet,for the fear of them being nasty! But look at it this way,it's the start of a new beginning for us,a healthier us! We can do this!
hisndngrl
on 7/11/12 2:18 pm - OK
RNY on 08/15/12
Ps,great name! I named my daughter the same name just spelled differently
poet_kelly
on 7/11/12 2:32 pm - OH
Well, after surgery you won't have to eat only supplements.  You'll be able to eat a wide variety of foods, including burgers.  Not immediately, but after a while.  And after surgery you will have a very small stomach so you will get full on small amounts of food.  So the fact that you're hungry and cranky living on supplements does not mean you won't be able to do life when you can eat all sorts of yummy things and get full on small amounts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Angelena1978
on 7/11/12 2:39 pm - TN
RNY on 07/24/12
Thanks for the replies...I am just very nervous and now that it is so close, I am getting more and more so.  My boss is 100% against this and has told me all about everyone she knows who died or had complications from any surgery.  And then of course, there are all the people who give you the whole "you can do this without surgery IF YOU REALLY WANT TO".  Yes...that must be it...I just don't want it bad enough.  Ugh.  I just have to make it through the next two weeks....

Angela 

poet_kelly
on 7/11/12 6:56 pm - OH
I would be very surprised if your boss knows many people that died from having RNY.  Since about one in 350 patients die from the procedure, for her to know more than one person that has died, she would statistically need to know more than 350 people that have had the procedure.  I think it would be unusual for her to know that many people that have had RNY, unless she works in the medical field, like with bariatric surgery patients.  But if that was the case, she should know that complications are rare.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Aelias316
on 7/11/12 3:11 pm
RNY on 07/30/12
I am about the same stage you are. My surgery is on July 30th. My pre op diet is different than your. I am to have a 1000 cal diet for 2 weeks prior and clear liquids for 48 he's before. I am also nervous about how I will adjust post op and my new eating plan. But you need to just have faith in yourself that you have gotten this far and that you will make I thru the rest of ur pre op diet and will be successful post op! I have faith in ya and can't wait to hear more great things!

FinallyTime
on 7/11/12 9:40 pm - WI
 Hi Angela  My surgery is set for 7/25.  I had to start liquid diet 2 weeks prior to my date.. so that means i'm on liquid now.  but its not clear liquid, i do carnation instant drink mix s/f.  Every thing I eat or drink has to be s/f.  I have tons of liquid to get in each day.. sometimes I don't get it all in.  What are supplements?  Pills?   I am looking forward to my surgery and the food that I will be able to eat, so don't worry.. everything will be just super !!   

fireflymkz76
on 7/11/12 9:43 pm - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
 My surgery is on the 24th too! I am on liquids, it is notas horrible as I thought it was gonna be
check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 350 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 109 views