Sugar...??????

crystalomac
on 7/14/12 9:01 am - Cincinnati, OH
Since my little episode with the subway meatballs anything containing sugar terrifies me!!!  How much sugar per serving is safe?  I know I can at least take 1 gram bc thats what my protein shakes have in them but I'm to nervous to exceed that but almost EVERYTHING has sugar in it!  

Thanks for any help anyone can offer! 
Lady Lithia
on 7/14/12 9:06 am
I watch serving sizes carefully (they can be deceptive) and keep sugar g to single digits, and TOTAL carb grams to 25.

One day I saw a 12 oz bottle of some new fancy low-cal beverage, and I read the label and saw it was 10g of sugar. I thought, "hey, cool, that's not nearly as bad as I expected".... then I noted teh serving size.... 5 per bottle (or in other words, 2 oz servings) and 50 g of sugar

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 7/14/12 9:10 am - OH
Everyone is different so there is no way we can tell you how much sugar is safe for you.  I am fine with up to 15 grams.  There is also a difference between sucrose (table sugar) and the natural sugar in fruit (fructose) and milk (lactose).  I don't tolerate too much sucrose but am fine with fructose and lactose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/12 10:14 am - OH
 Ditto what Kelly said.  Some of us tolerate quite a bit of certain kinds of sugar and less of other kinds and it varies from person to person.  Most people are safe with single digit amounts of sugar, but not everyone.  If you dumped on a meatball (I am assuming from your opening), though, it was probably fat that made you sick rather than sugar (unless you consumed a lot of the tomato sauce).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

crystalomac
on 7/14/12 11:48 am - Cincinnati, OH
I think it was a lot of tomato sauce.  When I checked the next day the nutrition value it said 16g of sugar.  Thank you for your response ladies!!! 
Lady Lithia
on 7/14/12 12:05 pm
My WORST dumping EVER was tomato soup.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Scaura
on 7/14/12 11:50 am - Fort Collins, CO
I was told to stay at less han 10g per eating session.  I haven't pushed it beyond 5.  I do dump on carbs so I keep those at under 20g per eating session.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

lynnc99
on 7/14/12 1:05 pm
 My surgeon gave very strict guidelines on sugar, especially early out. 

No more than 3 gm. of sugar per serving. 
If over 3 gm., read the label. No refined sugar should appear within the first 5 ingredients. 

This assures that we avoid the refined sugars, but do not worry so much about naturally occurring sugars from fruits and milk sources (unless of course you are lactose intolerant). 

I am still extremely careful about sugar, 3 years out. It is a real trigger food for me! And while I don't exactly dump.....I do indeed feel pretty terrible if I eat too much sugar!
Cherokeesage
on 7/14/12 1:41 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I was given 10 gm sugar and 3.5 gm of fat per serving as my limitations.  I had a light reaction the first time I ate out and ordered cheesy potatoe soup from Cotton Patch.  I ate 2 or 3 bites and felt shaky and weird so went home and went to bed.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Sara O.
on 7/14/12 10:56 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
I can handle about 12-15g sugar, but usually try to avoid anything more than 10 just in case. If I have too much sugar my heart races. It took a few tries but I figured it out. I was dumping on 20g sugar but not 12. To broaden your food and drink choices you'll need to step outside your safe zone and try things with a little sugar in it. How else will you stay nurished? Certainly not on protein drinks alone.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 523 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 507 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 394 views
Recent Topics