Tell me the truth - so conflicted!

longhornrose
on 7/15/12 4:22 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Hi, Shelly ~

I recognized a lot of my own feelings in your post, so wanted to reply to let you know I'm kind of in the same boat, although I think you're probably much younger than I am.  I, too, weigh almost 300 lbs., down to about 295 from my all time high of 316 about 6 months ago.  When I weighed in at 316, I just sat down and cried, because I just couldn't imagine I would ever be that big.  That, in and of itself, really motivated me to look for help.  It was then I started seriously considering surgery.

Like you, I have arthritis that's just kicking my butt more and more.  Although I'm sure my age is a factor, I'm pretty sure the pain I have in my hips, knees and back are made very much worse by my obesity.  Although the arthritis will probably not go away, I'm pretty sure I'll get some relief, and be able to physically participate more in life.

As for being scared of having surgery, I've done enough research to feel pretty comfortable about it.  I think it's only natural to fear surgery, and especially having this type of surgery which effectively re-routes our digestive system!  After all the pre-op testing, I discovered that my general health isn't too bad (not counting high blood pressure, arthritis, and a few minor isses that shouldn't affect the surgery).  It was really reassuring to me, and made me realize my surgeon wouldn't operate on me if he didn't feel like I would make it through.

I also take quite a few medications, including two for high blood pressure, which I'm hoping I won't need too long after surgery.  That's something for you to consider, that you may be able to cut down on what you take.  I guess my feeling personally is taking meds (and vitamins) are a small price to pay for better health and quality of life.  And, I take psych meds, too, so I know some of them can cause weight gain.  What I'm currently taking (Wellbutrin, Lamictal, and Lexapro) seem to work well, and haven't made gaining weight any worse.  Is there any possibility of your getting a med change, to help with that problem?

And last but not least, are the changes with eating.  That's a biggie, especially if you're anything like me, and have developed the habit of using food as an emotional crutch.  Once I started to seriously consider surgery, I began trying to find new ways to deal with things.  I became a lot more conscious of what I was eating, and then make better choices.  I started trying to find ways to be more active, even though walking and standing are painful for me.  Right now, I'm getting ready to join a gym so that I can do water excercises - either the local YWCA, or an athletic club that's near my  house.  Walking in the pool, and water aerobics of some kind, especially for people with arthritis - should help.  One of the biggest things I've done (because I've had to) is begin seeing a counselor, to help with emotional issues, and to learn new coping techniques.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to tell you I understand your plight, and I'm right there with you.  I'm hoping by sharing what I'm doing, it will help you see there are ways to get this done.

Best wishes to you.  Feel free to friend me, and PM me if you want to talk.  Oh, and by the way, I've visited Bozeman a couple of times, and it is probably one of my most favorite places in the world!  = : D

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Mal
on 7/15/12 6:22 am
 Okay I can only tell you my own expereince with RNY surgery so here goes.

Like you, I have young children (13yo twin boys and 10 yo girl/boy/boy triplets) and all of my children but one are special needs or disabled.  I have been a single mom for 10 years since the triplets were about 6 months old.  I was 320, had diabetes with insulin and metformin, back/joint/foot pain like you read about, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.  I was on 10 meds for all of those things plus a whole bunch of psych meds for anxiety/depression/bipolar. You can do it if you want to.  Its definately not easy and you need, in my opinion, weekly talk therapy with a good therapist to help you get over your bad relationship with food (I was addicted to food, used it like a drug to soothe me and make me feel better.) and you need to follow your surgeon and  nutritionists orders to a T exactly as they tell you or you will fail.  If you overeat it hurts--Yeah it hurts A LOT!  And yes 30% of RNY patients get dumping syndrome and cannot eat very much sugar at one time (I don't have dumping syndrome thankfully, it sounds god awful!!!) but thats a good reminder not to overeat too much sugar.  And yes, you are not allowed to take NSAIDS or things like ibuprofen because you will get an ulcer.  I do take the ibuprofen from time to time but my surgeon has given me an antacid to take with it and I have to eat it with food.  Talk it over with your surgeon and see what they recommend.  

All of my  comorbs listed above were gone after about 6 months after I lost 100 lbs including all but my psych meds.  You will need to keep in close contact with your psychiatrist to make the necessary med adjustments because as you get smaller, you will need a smaller dose of your meds.  

Good luck with your decision.  It is a tough one but listen to your surgeon you must completely trust them and have faith in them.  

Mallisa

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 169 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 409 views