Tell me the truth - so conflicted!

shellykayd
on 7/14/12 2:05 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
I've been thinking of weight loss surgery for several years, but I think fear is part of why I have not done it yet.

Last week I went to my back doctor's office and they weighed me.  I was 301 pounds.  The heaviest I have ever been.  So far my "only" major medical issues are sleep apnea and severe arthritis, but I know diabetes, high blood pressure, etc are just around the corner.

I am hoping to get in to see a surgeon in October (no money for the $250 they need upfront until then).  I guess first I need to call the hospital and see what sort of payment plan they might be able to offer.  We are paying off our van in Sept, but the payments are only $200 a month, so that's it as far as what I can make in payments.

I have Medicare, so hoping they will pay a big chunk of it, but still worried about it.

Then I'm worried about the changes in eating and such.  I take probably 10 pills twice a day and not sure how I'm going to get all those down plus all the vitamins you need to take post op.

I know I will get more answers when I see the doctor and take the nutrition class, I'm just scared.

I take a lot of psych meds and many of them cause weight gain.  I tried to cut back on eating today and just felt so hungry all day long!  I'm trying to just drink a lot of water to fill up, but it just didn't help today.

I keep thinking I need to do SOMETHING!  I can hardly walk, much less play with my 6 year old.  Even pushing a grocery cart my back and legs hurt horribly.  I can't even go to the museum because there is nothing for me to push and hang on.  My back just can't handle it.

Help???
Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

garnetgal
on 7/14/12 2:26 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
 Medicare pays a huge chunk of it! My out-of-pocket medical bills was less than $750.00. That included having an IVC filter put in by the vascular surgeon 5 days before my WLS. $750 is still a lot when you're on a fixed income, but the hospital is working with me, so that's a big help.

Carmen C.
on 7/14/12 3:06 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/12 3:17 pm - OH
Once again, I have to ask how you can "love" (and blindly encourage someone else to have) a surgery that you have not even and yet, let alone lived with for any length of time?!?  I understand wanting to encourage people not to be afraid to make changes that will likely improve their quality of life (certainly everyone would agree with that) but it bothers me to have someone blindly encouraging people to re-route their digestive system just for the sake of letting "change happen" without regard to whether they are psychologically ready to implement all the changes that they will need to be healthy and successful.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/12 3:30 pm - OH
There is no denying that this is a serious surgery and that in order to stay healthy and avoid regaining the weight post-op that you have to make major changes to your eating habits and lifestyle.  You will HAVE to find a way to get all the itamin supplements in if you want to avoid health problems because of nutritional deficiencies.  If the majority of your meds are psych meds, you will likely have to keep taking them, but are there meds for medical conditions that might be resolved by losing weight (and therefore you might not have to continue taking those post-op)?

One of the biggest things that the surgery offers is that you won't have to go through a day like today where you were hungry all day long.  After surgery you will feel full with very little food.  You will have to make good food choices, of course, and the surgery does not take away "head hunger" (and, for many people, food cravings return after a few months), but having the small pouch definitely makes it easier to limit what you eat.  The surgery also does NOT fix any emotional or psychological issues that contribute to your overeating.  In order to be successful long-term, you will need to address those issues in some way.

This surgery is NOT easy, but it does offer the chance to get the weight off (and keep it off if you really change what you eat and how much physical activity you get).  For many people (like me) it is a last resort and the only way to have a chance at life as a normal sized person.

Talk to the surgeon and his staff, and do your own research so you really understand what you are "signing up for" and can make a truly informed decision.  The surgery is not for everyone but is a lifesaver for many who have it!

lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

seattledeb
on 7/14/12 5:01 pm
 Something you need to know about Rny is that after surgery you can not take Non steroidal anti-inflammatory meds or NSAIDS for short. With your severe arthritis that might be a consideration if you require these meds for pain relief.
A VSG or a DS surgery might better suit you particular needs. Do your research.
I think not having the energy to play with your children is a big and valid reason to have WLS. I am so grateful I can keep up with my son now.
Good luck,
Deb T.

Laura in Texas
on 7/14/12 10:24 pm
I see that your signature says "mom of 2 special needs children". You must do whatever it takes to be healthy for them. As a single mom by adoption, I am my kids only parent. I knew I had to do everyone I could to be healthy for them so I could parent them to adulthood. Do your research and then make the best decision for you and your kids. I went from 339 to 135 and have maintained my weight loss. RNY was the right choice for me. It is amazing to have my life back. Good luck with your decision.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

wendydettmer
on 7/14/12 10:29 pm - Rochester, NY
i understand the fear. I'm not sure what surgery will be best for you, but i can say that I do wish I had had mine years ago. I looked into it before, but wanted to wait until I was done having kids and finished nursing.

I am only 7 months out (almost), but I have to say it has been the best decision. I have not had many complications, but it was a huge catalyst in my life. I have 'detoxed' from caffeine (have not had any since surgery), white breads, processed carbs and refined sugar

I have made the shift to a 99% vegan diet (this is NOT a requirement of course, just something that has helped ME succeed), and i'm now taking karate with my daughter, joined a gym and running.

I can play with my children, run around, do tag and feel COMFORTABLE in my own skin.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 7/14/12 11:56 pm - OH
Well, here's the truth.  You're probably gonna just keep gaining if you don't have surgery.  And you are right, diabetes and high blood pressure and more are just around the corner.  And you have a six year old that needs a healthy  mom.

Medicare pays for WLS.  You have an annual deductible with Medicare, which I think is $250, something like that.  You have to pay 20% of your doctor visits and other outpatient stuff.  How much the inpatient hospital stay will cost depends on how many inpatient days you've used so far since you've been on Medicare.

You may not have as many pills to take every day when you lose some weight.  But you'll get the vitamins down with the pills just like the rest of us do.  It's not fun, but it's not that big a problem, either.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

shellykayd
on 7/15/12 12:30 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
Thank you so much for all the posts!  I'll be calling the hospital on Monday to see what options I have as far as paying.

Shelly
Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

Most Active
Recent Topics