Does More Protein Help Prevent Hair Loss??

WifeMama
on 7/21/12 1:29 am
RNY on 06/21/12
So I've seen a lot of posts about hair loss.  I'm only 4 weeks out so I'm not to that 3-4 month mark yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew about this.  If you eat more protein and keep your levels high (75-90gm/day) will that help prevent hair loss, or is it just an inevitable part of this process?  I realize there are things that come with the WLS "deal" so I'm not complaining, just want to prepare.  Thanks guys! 
poet_kelly
on 7/21/12 1:38 am - OH
There are a number of things that can cause hair loss, and lack of protein is one of them.  So getting enough protein will prevent hair loss due to lack of protein, yes.  However, hair loss can also be a side effect of general anesthesia, and protein will not counteract that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gbsinsatx
on 7/21/12 1:40 am - San Antonio, TX
 It is generally inevitable. No amount of protein, supplements, shampoos, creams, lotions or potions will stop the process. Your hair will usually become thinner and it will grow back. Don't waste your time, energy or money trying to stop it because it won't work. For most of us, it is not that bad.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Lady Lithia
on 7/21/12 2:02 am
I was taking 70 - 100 g of protein per day, pre-op. I spent 4 days with zero protein (one day pre-op, and three days postop)  and 70 - 100 g of protein postop. Still lost about half of my volume. I was the only one who noticed. Protein alone won't do it.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

WifeMama
on 7/21/12 2:59 am
RNY on 06/21/12
Thanks ladies for your input.  You confirmed what I suspected but hoped wasn't true.  Darn! 
Dave Chambers
on 7/21/12 4:42 am - Mira Loma, CA
There isn't much you can do about hair loss at all. You can do some things to help with new hair growth, but you can't prevent the loss of the hair. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/21/12 4:57 am - OH
 No, getting MORE protein does not PREVENT hair loss (because it is not a shortage of protein that causes it), but not getting ENOUGH protein will make the hair loss worse.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

WifeMama
on 7/21/12 7:18 am
RNY on 06/21/12
Ahh, good to know.  Thanks so much guys!
wmamey
on 7/21/12 7:28 am, edited 7/21/12 7:29 am
RNY on 06/18/12
I am kind of amazed that I have not seen anyone mention that too much protein can harm the kidneys. The kidneys filter the protein you take in and have to work extra hard if too much is ingested. Stick to what your Dr. or NUT suggests. Hair loss may or may not occur - more likely it will but it is temporary.

aidenswings
on 7/21/12 9:38 am
 Hi, I would like to add that any major trauma to the body such as a major surgery can cause hair loss. The surgery itself takes a huge toll on the body and in it's process to heal itself, hair is lost. However, vitamin deficiency and lack of good nutrition in general can speed up hair loss. So can a large amount of stress. I myself am 2 1/2 yrs post op but i gained so much weight back(another story) and still have hair loss. If I run my fingers through my hair some comes out(not a large amount though or I'd be worried). I was told to try taking the supplement Biotin. You can get it over the o****er at most pharmacies. It naturally strenthens the hair and can help slpw down hair loss. I would suggest trying that stleast short term while your body fully heals. Good luck! 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 387 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views