Flying 2 days after surgery!

Debbie A.
on 7/22/12 4:42 pm - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12
Hi,
I'm Debbie and a newbie...my RNY is on 8/152012. I live in California, but I'm having the surgery in Las Vegas. 2 nights in the hospital and then I fly home. Any advice on how to make the trip easy? It's a hour and a half flight and a hour and a half trip home in the car. I'm so not looking forward to the trip home! If I had the cash I'd stay and catch a show!! lol

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"

"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

SoCaPinkLady
on 7/22/12 5:16 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Ouch.. This is not something I would have tried to do. Best of luck to you. You can call the airlines ahead of time and let them know that you will need assistance (wheelchair) and help with check in and to get onto the plane. I think I would rather drive to Vegas the whole way so I could sleep in the back seat rather than manuver an airport.

Lori                               

Debbie A.
on 7/22/12 5:34 pm - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12
I thought about having my husband drive, but were in the Bay Area it's about a 5 hour drive I think. Thanks for the info on calling the airport ahead of time that is a great idea!

SoCaPinkLady
on 7/22/12 6:06 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Can I ask why you are going to Vegas for surgery and not closer to home?

Lori                               

JJ_
on 7/22/12 9:15 pm
Are you flying by yourself?  You are not able to lift anything more than 10 lbs.  What if you are experiencing pain and need your meds, yet need to be alert to travel?  Will you have a drain tube? 

Please ensure that you have something to sip on the plane.  That will be your full-time job...sipping.

I certainly wasn`t up for travel 2 days post-surgery.

Do you have a back-up plan in case you run into complications?  What if you need to return to the surgeon?

Judy
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/22/12 9:27 pm
Flying makes you more susceptible to blood clots.  Maybe since the trip is short you would be fine.  I would clear it with your surgeon first.

Winnie

lynnc99
on 7/22/12 10:37 pm
Definitely get a wheelchair.

Plan to check luggage and everything but your purse...no lifting.

Ge****er once you clear security.

Plan to walk the aisle about halfway through the flight.

Have pain medication at hand and take prior to the flight. If you don't feel you need prescription pain mess, go with Tylenol junior meltaways - but it takes about 8 of these to equal 2 extra strength Tylenol!

Once off the plane, take a good 20 minute walk to get your blood flowing. (the risk of clots is real!)

Keep sipping.

Also during your break in the trip, get some protein in (a ready to drink Atkins shake is simple and available at any wal mart or cvs). Have hubby pick this up for you.

On the drive home, stop for a 10 minute walk halfway.

Rest when you can en route. Plan to go straight to bed when you get home - very likely you will be exhausted and will need a couple of days just to recover from the trip.

Remember - the surgery has small incisions but is major work. Don't underestimate your need for rest and healing.
bugsmommy
on 7/23/12 1:44 am
I'm also curious about you going to Vegas, I'm originally from Nor Cal and there are lots of great medical centers in the Bay Area, my friends/family that have had weight loss surgery (band/RNY) have gone to the Bay Area for surgery. It just seems like it would be harder for follow up care and the like also.

Cherie
siamsa1
on 7/23/12 2:15 am
RNY on 07/17/12
 I was released three days after surgery and only had a 10 minute ride home over bumpy surfaces which was very uncomfortable.  I can't imagine riding in an airplane.  Best of luck to you!

Jennifer

Debbie A.
on 7/23/12 2:57 am - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12
Thank you so much for all your concerns and great advice, that means a lot to me. Yes, the Bay Area has some wonderful surgeons and hospitals. My weight loss journey and Medicare has led me to Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas. I will have a referral to a surgeon here in town when I get back if something goes wrong. I was worried about flying but was told I should be fine with the short ride. I'm very comfortable with my choice. You all have made some very valid points which I will talk to the doctor about in more detail and I will give the airlines a call. So thankful I found this web site and all you wonderful people.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 293 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 219 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics