The Good and The Bad

Hollie313
on 7/24/12 10:03 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

We'll start with the bad, so we can end this post on a good note.

The Bad:  I have figured out (the hard way) that my body no longer can tolerate turkey the
                 day after it's been cooked.  The first time I ate 2nd day turkey, I hurled and felt so
                 much better.  I assumed because my dad had smoked it that maybe the moisture
                 had been taken out.

Last night, I attempted to eat turkey breast that had been roasted late Monday night.
                 What a mistake!  I even dipped it in Miracle Whip Light in order to avoid an issue.  Ugh.
                  I hurled and hurled and hurled.  I didn't eat that much, so I have no idea where that
                 amount of sickness came from.  I couldn't keep anything down the rest of the night....
                 no Crystal Light and even the 1/2 SF popsicle came back with a vengeance.  So, I 
                 figured the best thing to do was to go to bed.  I did and woke up feeling so-so.  I'm
                 now afraid to eat today....lol.  Sheesh.

The Good:  I hopped on the scale this morning and I'm down 48.4 pounds.  My heighest weight
                    was 302.  My surgery day weight was 287.  Today, not even 3 months later, I am
                    weighing in at 239.2.  Thank God!!!

Question:  Do the scars ever lighten up from having surgery?

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Amy D.
on 7/24/12 10:09 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Ugh, what a tough lesson to learn! I hope you're able to keep stuff down today. Stupid leftover turkey!

I am 4 months out and my scars are significantly lighter. The 3 in my waistline and closest to my belly button are barely visible and the 3 higher up while still visible are much lighter than they were just a couple of months ago. Of course, a lot of how they look will depend on your body and how you scar.

You are doing awesome. Congrats on your great weight loss and keep up to good work!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
SoCaPinkLady
on 7/24/12 10:33 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Congrats on the weight loss.

I have been using mederma on my insicions. When I had my check up on Tues. The PA Had a hard time finding the ones on my left side. She said she was amazed at how well I have healed up. The bigger three are getting very small as well!!!

Lori                               

Hollie313
on 7/24/12 10:55 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Is mederma over the counter or do you need a script for that??

CarolinaKelly
on 7/24/12 11:14 pm - NC
RNY on 08/29/12
Mederma is over the counter. I had surgery in mid June to reconstruct a tear duct (incision was a little over an inch long on the side of my nose near the corner of my eye) I have been using Mederma faithfully and my scar is barely noticeable now. Great product!
Larry Wassmann
on 7/24/12 11:15 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I have trouble eating anything that I re-heat. Seems to dry everything out too much. Hard way to lose weight. Congrats on that anyway.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Kim S.
on 7/25/12 12:18 am - Helena, AL
I don't think it is "day after" so much as it is dry.  The Miracle Whip has a lot of fat and sugar-that could be the culprit. 

If you eat dry meat, try dipping it in steak sauce, buffalo sauce or fat free gravy in a jar.  That was key for me that 1st year.

Now I can eat the driest of meat no problems.

Hope you are feeling better, and congrats on the loss!

Hollie313
on 7/25/12 12:42 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
I use the light version of Miracle Whip and I've not had issues with it since surgery.  However,
I think you hit the nail on the head.....it's too dry!  I definitely WILL start using sauces with my
meats.  Last night was miserable! 

Thanks again!!

ToBeAble
on 7/25/12 12:51 am
Hi Hollie,
  Congratulations on your success so far -- there's much more to come!

I remember having the same issue with turkey burgers early on. One day they'd go down great; the next day it was sheer torture. For what it's worth, that stopped being a problem at some point. In my second year, I've rarely had food coming back up. So, hang in there! (But yes, combatting the dryness of the meat is a good thing.)

A food that still doesn't work for me to reheat is omelettes. It's a bummer because I can't finish a whole one at a restaurant, but it's not worth bringing home the leftovers because they won't agree with my pouch the second time around. Oh well -- it's a small price to pay for better health!

All the best on your continued journey,

Laura

RNY 7/30/10  SW 302/CW ~150/First Goal 155 (reached 9/2011)
Extended TT & Medial Thigh Lift 7/16/12.  Arms, Butt Lift 2/6/13. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 281 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views