Losing too much?

vkhill22
on 7/25/12 8:28 am - Duluth, MN
I went for a follow-up appointment with my surgeon. My weight is now 101. My goal weight was 125. I have had chronic diarrhea since my surgery June 1st, 2011. I caught C-diff in the hospital and had a heck of a time getting "rid of it" if you know what I mean. I'm just wondering if anyone else had had this experience? First, losing too much weight? Second, attributing that weight loss to chronic diarrhea? My surgeon said he's never seen this before and thinks something other than my gastric bypass is causing the diarrhea. If I don't "bind" up on a new medicine he's given me, he will put me in the hospital to figure this out. I'm worried. Any thoughts?

Lady Lithia
on 7/25/12 8:58 am
Do you drink milk?

If you do, I'd stop right away to see if it isn't a lactose intolerance.

If you don't drink milk, do you consume foods with sugar alcohols on a regular basis?

If you do, I'd stop right away to see if that is the culprit.

In fact, you might try to simplify your diet down to the essentials, and eliminate one type of food at a time. Any time you discover a lack of diarrhea you might have discovered a food you're reacting to. Have you seen an allergist and/or gastroenterologist?

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

SarahLee1969
on 7/25/12 10:37 am - NY
Have you been rechecked for c diff? It can come back.... over and over again.
Otherwise I would be asking for a consult with gastroenterologist.As you probably realise it is not normal to have diarrhea that persistently. Maybe look into blood testing to screen for celiac, which is an intollerance to wheat and gluten-symptoms are commonly diarrhea, bloating, and may iclude lactose intollerance, sometimes constipation.It is something you have your whole life, but symptoms usually manifest after a significant physical or emotional stress (including surgery). I've read on this site of people that were diagnosed after surgery. I have a cousin with celiac, and my husband also has it.
As another poster suggested sugar alcohol or lactose or other food could be the culprit too.

I wish you a speedy diagnosis!