Need to raise HDL cholesterol

mat0174
on 7/29/12 3:42 pm
Hi, I'm 9 1/2 years post op. My cholesterol prior to surgery was through the roof. Now, its 26 overall count. My doctor says I need to raise my HDLs, and told me to start taking fish oil. I cant stand them, when I take one, I burp up this fish flavor for over an hour, and I cant stand fish, so just the tast makes me sick to my stomach. Does anyone know any foods that might help with that? I cant atand fish and I've heard egg white's are good, dont remember where I heard that from, but I cant stand those either. Any suggestions?
poet_kelly
on 7/29/12 4:30 pm - OH
Try flaxseed oil capsules.  Flaxseed oil contains the omega 3 fatty acids, just like fish oil does.  There is no fishy burp, though.

I've always been told exercise helps to raise HDL levels, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mat0174
on 7/29/12 5:00 pm
Ok thank-you, is that something common at the grocery store? Or is that a special foods store commodity?
poet_kelly
on 7/29/12 9:44 pm - OH
Any store that has vitamins should have it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/29/12 9:17 pm
Krill oil. It is suppose to be much better than both fish oil and flaxseeds.
nuts - but only walnuts and almonds
acocado
exercise.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

grmadeb01
on 7/29/12 10:05 pm - FL
within the last 6 months i have for the first time in my adult life my good (HDL) is now finally higher the my bad (LDL) and the only thing i can really say that is different is i am eating alot of nuts....almonds etc, i have been eating almond butter instead of peanut butter....i keep a trail mix in my purse at all time incase of getting low blood surgars....i do eat tuna and shrimp and talipia, but not all the time, but i do eat them...besides doing all of my vitamins, being down 105 pounds and being 15 months post op...nuts have alot of the healthy fats that we need..even tho they are higher in calories...
good luck
debby
Most Active