Slow weight loss but fast hair loss

Nycm
on 8/1/12 12:24 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 So I am almost 6 months post op I have lost 56 pounds but 14 of those were pre-op.  I am getting at least 80 grams of protein a day, keeping track of my daily intake on fitness pal.  I was a conversion from band to bypass due to slip.  I am eating so much more than I could with my lap-band but it's all healthy food not the slider junk foods I was eating before my RNY.  

The hair loss started about three months post op and is still raging.  My hair was thin on top to start with, so now it's really bad.  I am going to look at hair pieces this weekend.  Has anyone else gone this route to deal with hair loss?  My husband is horrified by the idea,  but I think it will really help me feel better about myself.

Christine

Dave Chambers
on 8/1/12 12:38 pm - Mira Loma, CA
The surgical nurse commented on revision wt loss recently at a support group. Data seems to indicate that most revision patients lose wt at a slower rate than those patients who had the RNY as their only wt loss surgery.  Make sure you follow serving sizes as closely as possible--just don't eat a lot because you can.  Your BMI is likely lower than many RNY patients too, and that will also determine your wt loss rate.  DAVE 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Nycm
on 8/1/12 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 Hi Dave,  I have heard that about revision as well.  I do watch my serving sizes because I was so used to having pain for a couple of hours after eating.  I feel so much better in general and it's wonderful to not be vomiting daily.

Christine

Cherokeesage
on 8/1/12 5:11 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Christine,
My surgery date is around the same time as yours and your story is almost identical to mine.  Band removed and RNY.  Thin hair and falling out.  Getting in protein and water with no junk.  I've lost 54 post op.  We'll get there!  And, hopefully our hair grows back in the meantime.  Barb

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Dee.spunk
on 8/2/12 12:13 am - Sacramento, CA
I didn't have a revision, but did have major hair loss, so for awhile I'd just wear a wig. I have pictures in my profile with my wigs. Now it's finally growing in so I rock what I got!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

MyLady Heidi
on 8/2/12 12:19 am
Wigs are fun, especially if your hair is falling out and you are stuck with a style you don't like, for me that is anything short.  I wore tons of wigs, look at my profile pics and you will see lots of them, now my hair is growing back after 7 years, and 3 rounds of surgery where I lost the same amount (a ton) each time.  Enjoy the wigs and tell your husband where to go.
graceinpas
on 8/2/12 2:27 pm
 I was a revision also and am losing slowly - but Ive had some other complications.  I am losing my hair too.  My summer hairstyle has been my hair slicked back with mousse and into a ponytail with big hoop earrings.  I can hide my thinning top hair and people look at my earrings more than my hair!!

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
Most Active
Recent Topics