The hospital stay...

jjsparkilzz
on 8/2/12 7:37 am - Selden, NY
For all you post-ops... what would you reccommend packing to bring to the hosp for after the surgery?
poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 7:42 am - OH
Very little.  Chapstick, your tooth brush, toothpaste, stuff like that.

Wear comfy clothes to the hospital and wear the same outfit home.  Wear the hospital gown there, it's easier than bringing your own pj's.   Don't take a lot of books or other stuff to do because you won't need it.  You'll mostly be dozing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

juleskar
on 8/2/12 7:48 am
The bare minimums, like Kelly said. I left all my stuff in my dad's car, because they didn't assign a room to me until after I was done in recovery. I brought a small toothbrush, travel sized tooth paste, deodorant, lotion & Chapstick. I also had my own pillow. I used the hospital's shampoo, soap and face cloths. I wore the sweatpants and t-shirt home, that I wore when I was admitted. Oh yah, I did bring a change of underwear.
GraceGirl
on 8/2/12 7:52 am
Ipod its loud at night and music drowns it out...chapstick...I changed into a tank and shorts on day 2 after the catheter came out was SO nice not to worry about the "gown" Also a brush they give yoyu a toothbrush and a few things but if you like your own bring that stuff.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

ShebasMom
on 8/2/12 7:58 am
Revision on 07/05/16
You will definitely need a lip moisterizer, something I wished I had after my surgery. I agree with above posts, bare minimum.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

SoCaPinkLady
on 8/2/12 8:04 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Phone Charger too

Lori                               

MissLisaD
on 8/2/12 9:14 am - CA
RNY on 05/31/12
Everything that everone posted is perfect! I brought loose, comfy jammies and like someone else, I changed into them after the catheter came out.  I was out of it and slept the entire time almost.  Every time I'd try and text someone, I'd pass out mid text.  You'll need chapstick and a brush, phone charger, and some tunes if you want.  It wasn't too loud for me, I was fortunate enough to have a private room, and I kept the door shut.

HW: (265 in 2007) Consult weight: 247 SW: 221 CW:151.8 GW:140     

Candy V.
on 8/2/12 10:49 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

One more piece of advice I got from a friend that had the band a few years ago.  Have the nurse or your family help you take a shower and wash your hair before you are discharged.  They have seats in the showers to make it easier and you can just go home and sleep all clean and comfy when discharged.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

kcarlson0814
on 8/2/12 12:27 pm - CA
RNY on 09/10/12
shower... great idea

when i had a previous surgery (not RNY) my feet were cold so I recommend socks...
HW: 300 / Lapband Low: 247 / RNY: 9/10/12          
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 246 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views