2 stuck in 2 days, One month out.. wth??

Caidkin
on 8/2/12 3:31 pm - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
WTH? is wrong with me.  Last night I got stuck on a piece of very mush salmon.  It wasn't too intense, but I knew I was stuck, for sure.  Now tonight, I couldn't get to sleep so I took an ambien.. well I woke up to myself eating pb crackers.. the pre-packaged kind.  I would NEVER eat those!!! I have strictly followed my surgeons diet.  I JUST started my "soft" food stage.  Any who... those crackers must have gotten stuck.  IT was terrible!!!! I think I'm over the hump, but who knows.  I quickly warmed up some water and drank it.  I spit/puked up a little bit and a felt much better. Now I just got on here and searched "stuck" and realized I shouldn't have drank the water.  Ugh.  That was terrible.  I didn't think the pain would pass. 

I had this sleep walking thing prior to surgery.. actually since I was a kid.  The amibien exacerbates it.  I haven't had one issue though since I came home from surgery and I figured it was because my tummy was actually full, when before I never felt full.  I don't know.>> Whatever just happened eating pb crackers was VERY VERY bad.  WTH is wrong with me... UGH!!!!

I wonder if I should try going back to bed.
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
juleskar
on 8/2/12 6:11 pm
Be very careful with ambien. I had a couple of episodes over the years of taking it, where I'd wake up in the morning wondering who ate the entire bag of chips?!? Of course it was me...ambien can cause amnesia. Fast forward to April 4th. Over a period of about 4 hours, I ingested approx 20 ambien and 12 Xanex. I had no memory of doing this. My 14yo daughter realized something was wrong, called my mom, who took me to the ER, then I was admitted. I didn't know my family, where I was, or what had happened, until 2 days later. At that point, I was asked questions, like where are you. I could hear the answer to these questions in my head, but I couldn't speak them. On the 3rd day was the first time that I spoke to and acknowledged people. Obviously, I had accidentally overdosed due to the amnesia effects of ambien. The scary part?? The first 12 hours at the hospital, they weren't sure I was going to live. Also, I have had 2 repeat episodes where I have amnesia again, without taking ambien. I have no memory of May 12-14 and June 5 & 6. So initially, I could laugh off eating a bag of chips without knowing it..not anymore. The reason I need a sleep-aid? So I won't become claustrophobic to the cpap machine that I need to use for the severe sleep apnea that was diagnosed while trying to get approval for my RNY surgery.
poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 11:33 pm - OH
What do they think caused the amnesia the other two times, when you weren't taking the ambien?  I would be pretty concerned about that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

juleskar
on 8/3/12 2:32 am
 I'm seeing a Neurologist in a couple of weeks to hopefully figure it out. At this point, the hospital dr's and my PCP think I've had significant brain trauma (like a stroke patient) that can take months to heal. However, all the tests/scans they've done have come out normal. 
poet_kelly
on 8/3/12 4:46 am - OH
Do you have a history of depression or PTSD or anything like that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

juleskar
on 8/3/12 7:09 am
 I have anxiety/panic attacks. No depression or PTSD.
Kay L.
on 8/2/12 11:30 pm - N., AL
Honestly, I can't for the life of me understand why Ambien is still being prescribed. I have heard so many stories from things that happened to people while they were on it.

As for getting things stuck, I could never have eaten salmon at 4 weeks out. You just may have to try different proteins and see what works best. Make sure it's super moist and that you chew VERY well.
juleskar
on 8/3/12 2:38 am
 Yep, I can't understand why it's available either. All the doctors I've seen have said they're suprised the FDA is still allowing it. They've also mentioned a lawsuit. I'm not the type to sue someone, when I'm the one who ingested the meds, however, I never would have taken all those meds if I was in my right mind. The long term affects do have me worried, however.
shellbell75
on 8/3/12 1:15 am
Have you tried papaya enzymes? Personally, it has been a life saver for me. I have gotten food stuck a few times and it helps break down the food. Also, I have a very pissy pouch and it helps so much when something doesn't agree with it. I too have the sleep eating issue. It has gotten so much better since surgery. I take Klonipin before bed for anxiety. It actually has been shown to help for sleep eating.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/3/12 5:12 am - OH
Yeah, I would lose the Ambien at least for a while... eating things in your "sleep" could cause all sorts of pouch/digestive problems!

Are you chewing everything to "mush"? Are you making sure that all your protein is moist?  I have a hard time imagining how salmon would get stuck if it is properly chewed (unless it was not moist enough).

Yeah, drinking water when something is stuck can be either very good (gets it unstuck) or very bad (causes vomiting or causes more pain and NO vomiting).  I hope you feel better.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?